School of Education
+679 32 32498
Cert. Teac. Prim. & Dip. Teac. Sec. [SICHE], BEd [Sth Pc.], MEd [Vic. Uni.] PhD [Sth Pc.]
Designation: Programme Coordinator & Lecturer (Education leadership)
Facsimile: +679 3231571
- ED 191 - Educational Decision making and Problem Solving
- ED 291 - School Organization and Management
- ED 391 - Educational Leadership and Supervision
- ED 491 - Advanced Studies in Educational Leadership
- Lecturer 2016, School of Education, Faculty of Arts Law & Education, University of the South Pacific.
- Deputy Director (2010 – 2013) Institute of Public Administration and Management (IPAM). Ministry of Public Service, Solomon Islands Government – 2010 – 2013.
- Facilitator/Lecturer (2014 – 2016) Graduate Certificate in School Leadership. School leaders project - Solomon Islands, Institute of Education (IOE), University of the South Pacific and funded by in Ministry of Education Human Resources Development of the Solomon Islands Government.
- Tutor (2014), ED 250 Curriculum Development Course, School of Education, Faculty of Arts, Law & Education Laucala Campus, Suva, Fiji.
- Coordinator &Tutor (2009 – 2010): University of Papua New Guinea, Open Campus, Malaita sub-Centre (Ethics & Civic 100 level Course 2. Government & Politic 100 level course) Solomon Islands.
- School Principal – National Secondary Schools, Provincial Secondary Schools, Community High Schools (2000 – 2009), Solomon Islands Teaching Service, Solomon Islands Government.
- School Headmaster – Primary Schools, Solomon Islands Teaching Service, Solomon Islands Government (1990 – 1998)
Civic/citizenship education, political education, school and community leadership, ethical leadership, social study curriculum, values education and indigenous education for pacific island people.
- Associate Researcher (current)- Institute of Education (IOE), USP.
- Temotu Literacy & Leadership Support project, Solomon Islands, coordinated by Institute of Education (IOE), USP & Auckland University 22nd August to 29th – October 2015
- Academic Research (PhD). Citizenship education in Small Island States: Exploring values for good citizenship in the Solomon Islands (2013 – 2014), University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.
- Community Leadership Project (2010 – 2013) coordinated by Leadership Solomons, Pasifika, Honiara, Solomon Islands funded by Pacific Leadership Programm (PLP) and the Global Leadership movement.
- Leadership & Management Development Frame work (2010 – 2011) – Solomon Islands Public Service, Solomon Islands Government.
- Academic Research (MED) (2007 – 2008). Qualitative Research on Citizenship Education and the Solomon Islands Social Study Curriculum,
- Nguzu Nguzu English Curriculum for Primary schools project (1995 – 1996): literacy & numeracy project for junior primary schools in the Solomon Islands.
- Associate supervisor – 2 PhD candidate
1. Satish Chand - PhD Candidate: Constructive alignment of Curriculum in Fiji.
2. Lalesh Shama.- PhD Candidate: The impact of education supervision on classroom practitioners in Fiji.
- Principal Supervisor – 4 Master of Education/Arts candidate
1. Ruuti Tekeraoi - MA student - Bridging the school leadership gap: An exploratory study into developing a culturally grounded leadership style at KGV/EBS school
2. Neeleshni A. Mala – MED; School Head teacher’s perspective of strategic planning on Primary Schools in Fiji Islands.
3. Fineaso Tehulu – MED (SRP); Educational Planning Practices in Tuvalu: The case of Strategic planning in the Secondary Schools.
4. Taawetia Tebwaatoki - MED: Practicing School Principals are agents for effective instructional leading: the Kiribati case.
- Temotu Literacy & Leadership pilot project - Solomon Islands 2014 – 2016. A joint consultancy pilot project between the Institute of Education, USP and Auckland University, New Zealand on Literacy and Leadership in primary schools in Temotu Province, Solomon Islands.
- School Leadership Development project – Solomon Islands (2014 – 2017). A project funded by the Solomon Islands and facilitate by the Institute of Education, USP to train all school leaders in ECE, Primary, Secondary, TVET schools.
Committees and Community engagement
- Post Graduate Research Committee (SOE) 2016
- Learning & Teaching Committee (SOE) 2016
- Board of Studies Committee (SOE) 2016
- Programme Advisory Committee, (SOE) (student rep) 2014, University of the South Pacific.
- Chairman of Working Group (IPAM 2011 – 2012) Leadership and Management Development Frame work, Solomon Islands Public Service, Solomon Islands Government.
- General Order (GO) of the Solomon Islands Public Service Review Committee member (MPS 2011 – 2012), Solomon Islands Government.
- Leadership Pacific movement (member) – Provide leadership mentoring for new generation pacific Island leaders (continuers)
- Leadership Solomon’s movement (Executive member) provide leadership trainings for Communities, schools, churches and locally elected leaders (Continuers)
- Watching Rugby
- Mentoring emerging leaders
Presentations and Proceedings (Conference, Symposiums and Workshop)
- Fitoo,B. (2016). Plenary speaker: Setting the foundation right through informed leadership: where quality education starts, National Early Childhood Education Conference, Fiji, Lautoka, 15th – 16th August 2016
- Fitoo, B. (2016). Re-visioning Education for good citizenship in the Solomon Islands. A paper presented in the Vaka Pacifika Conference, Solomon Islands National University, Honiara, Solomon Islands 5th – 6h July 2016.
- Fitoo, B. (2015). Examining the challenges to national consciousness: the case of Solomon Islands. A paper presented in the Pacific Circle Consortium Conference – University of the South Pacific, 2nd – 4th of July, Suva, Fiji.
- Fitoo, B. 2015. Citizenship Education & Nation building; the case of Solomon Islands. A paper presented at the USP Postgraduate symposium on Disseminating Research Work “Reflecting on a research politics agenda for Solomon Islands” 11 – 12th February 2015, USP, SUVA, FIJI
- Fitoo, B. 2014, Exploring approached for active citizenship: the case of Solomon Islands. A paper presented in the Pacific Circle Consortium Conference – Australian Catholic University, 17th – 19th October, in Sydney, Australia.
- Fitoo, B. 2014, Citizenship education and teaching pedagogies: case of Solomon Islands. A paper presented in the Vaka Pasifiki, Institute of Education, USP, Tonga Campus 24th to 26th September, Nukualofa, Tonga.
- Fitoo, B. 2011, Re-thinking Citizenship Education in the Solomon Islands. A paper presented in the Re-thinking Pacific Education Conference, Suva, Fiji. 8th December, 2011.
- Fitoo, B., Chu, C. Fuaepepe, R. 2008, Mentoring new generation pacific leaders. A paper presented in the International Development Network (Dev.Net) Conference, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, December 6th - 8th 2008.
- Fitoo, B. (2015). Citizenship Education in Small Melanesian States: the case of Solomon Islands, A paper presented in the Post Graduate Symposium, University of the South Pacfific, Suva, Fiji, October, 2015.
- Fitoo, B. (2014). Exploring values for good citizenship in the curriculum of Solomon Islands, a paper presented at the Talanga, School of Education, Faculty of Arts Law & Education, USP, Suva, Fiji
- Fitoo, B. 2008, Citizenship Education and the Social study curriculum of the Solomon Islands. A paper presented in the Pacific Leadership Symposium, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand, October.
- Participant - eLearning Pedagogies and Materials Development using ODL & OER workshop, The University of the South Pacific and the Commonwealth of Learning, USP, Suva, Fiji 23rd – 27th May 2016.
- Facilitator/Trainer - locally elected leaders in the Solomon Islands. (Provincial Government Elected leaders). Commonwealth Local Government Forum Pacific Project & Provincial Government Strengthening Project, Ministry of Provincial Government – SIG. 2011 - 2012
- Facilitator/trainer - the Public Service Leadership Development Programme, for senior public officers, Solomon Islands Government, Solomon Islands, 2011 - 2012
- Facilitator/Trainer/designer - Ethical leadership for Solomon Islands leaders (Public, Political, community and church & women leaders), Leadership Solomon, Solomon Islands. 2009 - 2012
- Facilitator/trainer – Public Service Code of Conduct Course, Supervision Course, and Management course, Knowing Your Public Service Course, Solomon Islands Government Solomon Islands, 2010 - 2012
- Participant - the Leadership Pacific Symposium, University of the South Pacific, Pacific Forum Secretariat, December, Suva, Fiji. 2011
- Coordinator - the National Leadership Forum, Solomon Islands, September 13th -16th/2011
- Participant - the Pacific Leadership Program, Conference, Clear Mt. Lodge, Brisbane, May 19th – 22nd. 2011
- Participant Pacific Education Leadership Cluster: Leadership Development Workshop. Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand 2009
- Participant - BRCSS Pacific National Research Conference. Auckland University, New Zealand April. 2008
- Participant - the Melanesian Symposium, Wellington New Zealand - 2008
- Participant - the Pasifika Education Symposium for New Zealand Association of Research in Education (NZARE) Conference, Canterbury University, New Zealand December, 2008
- Participant - Australian National Student Leadership Conference. Canberra, April, 1998 Australia.
- Coordinated & Facilitated - Leadership Forum for Secondary and Tertiary School leaders, July 19 – 21/1998, Solomon Islands
Book Chapters and Reports
- Fitoo, B & Maebuta, M. (2016). Peace and Citizenship Education in Classrooms: Solomon Islands Experiences. In Toumua, R. Sanga, K.,& Johansson Fua, S. (ed). Weaving Education: Theory and Practice in Oceania, Printshop, Wellington, New Zealand (pp. 43 – 55).
- Fitoo, B. (2014). Re-thinking Citizenship Education (CE) in the Solomon Islands. In Otunuku, M., Nabobo Baba, U., & Johannson Fua (ed). Of waves, winds and wonderful things, USP Press, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji (pp.137 – 147).
- Fitoo, B. (2009). On courage and Hope. In Sanga, K. & Chu, C. (ed). Living and Leaving a legacy of hope: stories by New generation Pacific Leaders. Institute for Research and Development in Maori and Pacific Education, Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand (pp. 23 – 39).
- Fitoo, B. (2011). Re-thinking Citizenship in the Solomon Islands. In Sanga, K. & Kidman, J.(ed) Harvesting Ideas, (2011); USP Press, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji (pp.72 – 86)
- Watson-Gegeo, Karen Ann, David W. Gegeo, and Billy Fitoʻo. in press. Critical community language policies in education: Solomon Islands case. In James W. Tollefson and Miguel Perez-Milans (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Language Policy and Planning, Chapter 19. London: Oxford University Press
- Cabinet paper: Solomon Islands Public Service Leadership and Management Development Framework, 2012, Solomon Islands Government, Solomon Islands
- Fitoo, B. (1996). I want to fly, Primary School Year 1 reader, Curriculum Development Centre, Ministry Education and Human Research Development, Honiara, Solomon Islands
- Fitoo, B. (1996). Johns Germs – Primary School Year 2 reader, Curriculum Development Centre, Ministry Education and Human Research Development, Honiara, Solomon Islands
- Fitoo, B. (1996). Gwasu’s Coin – Primary School Year 3 reader, Curriculum Development Centre, Ministry Education and Human Research Development, Honiara, Solomon Islands