The Confucius Institute at the University of the South Pacific (CI-USP), headquartered in Suva, and Fiji was established between the University of the South Pacific (USP) and Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT).
In March 2010, an official application for jointly constructing a Confucius Institute between the USP and BUPT was put forward by the USP. On 15 December 2010, the Agreement for the Establishment of the Confucius Institute was signed between Confucius Institute Headquarters of China/Hanban and the University of the South Pacific. The Implementation Agreement for the Development of the Confucius Institute was signed on 22 February 2011 between the USP and BUPT. With the approval of Hanban, BUPT and USP formally reached an agreement on 14 April 2011 to jointly build the Confucius Institute at USP.
Currently, there are six staff members in the Confucius Institute at USP: one Local director, one Chinese director, two Chinese language teachers, one Administrative Assistant and one Secretary. The staffs have been involved in the Unveiling Ceremony preparation, office building renovation, teaching facility purchasing, cultural activity planning, population of Chinese learning research and language teaching preparation.
The Confucius Institute at USP provides a unique avenue to introduce Chinese language and culture to the general public, and to carry out China-related activities within USP. It not only engages in extending development and cooperation in education, but also engages in extending the friendly cooperation in Sino-Fiji cultural communication, economics and technology communication, information communication and so on.
- For business purpose (as there has been a vast increase in interaction between Fiji and China)
- For intellectual enrichment.
- For enjoying Chinese movies.
- For an introduction to the culture of Fiji to China and vice versa.
- For career purposes
- Interactive and innovative methods will immerse students in a linguistic and cultural environment.
- Class size is small for maximum student-teacher interaction.
- Good facilities and teaching materials.
- Beginner Level Course (34 hours)
- Intermediate Course (34 hours)
- Credit Course LL181 and LL182 will be starting in 2013.
We have a lot of activities for the students and the public, see below:
- Paper Cutting
- Chinese Calligraphy
- Chinese Painting
- Singing Chinese Songs
- Beijing Opera experience activity
- Taiji Boxing
- Traditional Chinese Festival Celebration activity
- Chinese movie festival
- Learning Mandarin on radio
- Guest lectures