BEngg Guj. Uni., MEngg MS. Uni., PhD IIT Guw., IEEE Senior Member
Senior Lecturer in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
School of Engineering & Physics, The University of the South Pacific, Laucala Campus, Suva, FIJI.
Telephone: +679 3232337
Dr Utkal is a Senior IEEE Member, Secretary IEEE Fiji Subsection and Student branch Counsellor. He has over 16 years’ experience in both academic/research in the various education institutes and industry. He received the B.Engg. degree from Gujarat University, India and M.Engg. degree from M S University Baroda, India and the Ph.D. degree from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-G), India, in Electronics and Electrical Engineering. He also worked as the Project Engineer at R&D department at Compatible Power (P) Ltd in between 1999 to 2002. His current research focuses on system modelling, identification techniques in time and frequency domain, fractional control, data analysis and filtering techniques on high speed processors and various robotics applications for medical and industrial automation.
Teaching in USP:
- Analog Electronics-II (EE225)
- Microprocessor Applications (EE313)
- Mechatronics (EE363)
- Engineering Projects (EE388/EE399), Supervisor
- Control System Engineering (EE312-Flexi Summer)
- Power System Analysis (EE321- S1-2013)
Membership of Professional Organizations:
- Senior Member of IEEE
- IEEE Societies member: Control Systems, Smart Grid Communication, Industry Applications, 2016-2017
- Life Member of Indian Society For Technical Education (ISTE)
- Life Member of Institution of Electronics & Telecommunication Engineers (IETE)
- Life Member of Systems Society of India (SYSI)
Australian Patent # 2016,100,343 - A mobile cane for the blind and visually impaired. The handy device for the blind and visually impaired works with smart sensor logic and capable of prompting the output warning signals if any obstacles within an area of safety and enables the blind person to decide and, furthermore, have user-aid features.
- Mehta, U.: Book Chapter: Simple FOPI tuning method for real-order time delay systems, In Advances in Systems, Control and Automation, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, Springer, 2017.
- Kumar A., Assaf M., Mehta U.: Real Time Classification of American Sign Language for Finger Spelling Purpose. In: (eds) Internet of Vehicles – Technologies and Services. IOV 2016. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 10036. Springer, 2016.
- Mehta, U. and Rubén, R.: Smith predictor based sliding mode control for a class of unstable processes. Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, doi: 10.1177/ 0142331215619973, pp. 1-9, ISSN 0142-3312, 2015.
- Mehta, U. and Ananthanarayanan, R.: Optimal autotuning of nonminimum phase processes under relay control. IMechE Part I-Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, vol. 229(5), 455-468, 2015.
- Khatri, P. and Mehta, U.: Book Chapter: “Chapter 14: Online frequency domain identification method for stable processes”, In System Thinking Approach for Social Problems, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, Springer, Heidelberg, New York, London, 327, pp. 167-180. ISBN 978-81-322-2140-1 (Print) 978-81-322-2141-8 (Online), 2015.
- Mehta, U. and Vachkov, G.: The constraint optimization approach for robust PID design in AVR system, International Journal of Engineering Intelligent Systems, vol. 23(1), 2015.
- Mehta, U. and Vachkov, G.: Comparative study of constraint optimizations for automatic voltage regulator, World Journal of Engineering, vol. 12(2), 95-102, 2015.
- Lal, A., Kumar, R., Mehta, U.: Energy Dispatch Fuzzy Model in Hybrid Power System, International Energy Journal, vol. 14(3), 133-142, 2014.
- Lal, A., Kumar, R., Mehta, U., Vachkov, G.: Fuzzy Energy Distribution to a Variable Consumer Load, The South Pacific Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences (SPJNAS), vol. 32(2), 2014.
- Mehta, U: Stabilizing relay experiment for modeling of unstable processes with large time delay, IMechE Part I- Journal of Systems and Control Engineering, vol. 228(6), 359-368, 2014.
- Mehta, U: Modeling of integrating processes with time delay using a relay response curve, Journal of Ind. Chem. Engineering IIChE, Taylor & Francis, vol. 56 (1), 1-11, 2014.
- Rajeshkannan, A and Mehta, U: Deformation Study of Sintered Iron-carbon-silicon-copper Steel Compacts during Cold Forging, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Taylor & Francis, vol. 29(4), 442-447, 2014.
- Mehta, U: Book Title: Relay Feedback Process Identification: Exact Analysis In Time Domain, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, ISBN-13: 978-3659358913, 2013.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: On-line relay test for automatic tuning of PI controllers for stable processes, Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, vol. 34(7), 903-913, 2012.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: On-line identification of cascade control systems based on half limit cycle data, ISA Transactions, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), 473-478, 2011.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: Identification of a Class of Wiener and Hammerstein-Type Nonlinear Processes with Monotonic Static Gains, ISA Transactions, Elsevier, vol. 49, 501-509, 2010.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: Estimation of Process Model Parameters Based on Half Limit Cycle Data, Journal of Systems Science and Engineering, vol. 17 (2), 13–21, 2008.
- Chand, A., Prasad, R., Mehta, U. and Assaf, M.: A computer controlled positioning system for a turntable. 7th International conference, EECCS’15, Banglore, 9th-10th Jan 2015.
- M. A. Khalid, K. Kishan, K. Kishen, U. Gounder, P. Chand, Mehta, U., K. A. Mamun: Design and Development of Low Cost Voice Control Smart Home Device in the South Pacific Region. Asia-Pacific World Congress on Computer Science and Engineering 2014 (APWC on CSE 2014).
- J. A. Goundar, A. A. Chand, N. Tabua, R. Prasad, P. Chand, Mehta, U., K. A. Mamun: Mechatronic Design Solution for Fuel Level Monitoring using Pressure Sensor, Asia-Pacific World Congress on Computer Science and Engineering 2014 (APWC on CSE 2014).
- Mehta, U: Fast Fourier Transform For Estimating Process Frequency Response, 8th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications, 19-21 June 13, Australia
- Mehta, U. and Khirwadkar, A. and Makwana, B. and Kakadiya, D.: Vehicle guidance and traffic control system, 12th Pacific Science Inter-Congress (PSIC), USP, Fiji, 8-12th July 2013.
- Majhi, S. and Kotwal, V. and Mehta, U: FPAA-Based PI controller for DC servo position control system, IFAC Proceedings, vol. 45(3), 247-251, 2012.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: "On-line relay autotuning for process identification", National System Conference 2011, IIT Bhubneswar, India, 2011.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: Modeling and Control of Nonlinear Systems With Input Monotonic, in Proceedings of IEEE Conference INDICON, India, 2010.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: On-line Identification and Control Methods for PID Controllers, in Proceedings of IEEE Conference ICARCV, Singapore, 2010.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: An online relay feedback scheme for cascade control systems, National System conference 2010, Surthkal, India, 2010.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: Autotuning of PI Controller for an Unstable FOPDT Process, CERA09, IIT Roorkee, India, 2009.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: Identification of a Class of Nonminimum Phase Processes using Relay Feedback, Joint Int. Conf. on Applied Systems Research and NSC, India, 2009.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: Adaptive Relay Based Identification and Control of Hammerstein-Type Nonlinear Processes, in Proceedings of IEEE Conference INDICON, India, 2008.
- Mehta, U. and Majhi, S.: Identification and Control of Wiener-Type Non-linear Processes, National Systems Conference, IIT Roorkee, India, 2008.
- Pinal, E. and Mehta, U.: Self-troubleshooting /Repair of Embedded system using GA, in Proceeding of IETE National Seminar on Embedded Systems And Emerging Trends. 29th – 30th Jan 2005. Vadodara, pp 44. Vadodara: IETE Section.
- Pinal, E. and Mehta, U.: Intelligent Embedded system using model based programming language, in Proceeding of IETE National Seminar on Embedded Systems And Emerging Trends. 29th – 30th Jan 2005. Vadodara, pp 44. Vadodara: IETE Section.
- Mehta, U. and Patel, P: Artificial Neural Network based Active Noise Cancellation using GRBF, in Proceeding of IETE National 36th Mid Term Symposium and Conference on Emerging & Futuristic Communication System. 30th April – 01 May 2005. IISc Banglore, pp 98-103. Banglore: IETE Section.
- Ganatra, A. and Mehta, U: Conceptual study of Genetic Algorithm with different aspects, in Proceeding of National Conference on Information and Communication Technology. 27th March 2005 Vol 1, pp 18-22. Technology Today, Surendranagar, India.
- Mehta, U. and Patel, P.: Electro Magnetic Compliance- Aspects for printed circuit board design technique and layouts, in Proceeding of National Conference on Trends in Telecom Transmission: Copper to Fiber. 17th-18th March 2006. K. J. Somaiya College of Engineering, pp 97-102. Maharastra State, IEEE, IEI, IETE- Bombay Section.
- Programme Leader for Electrical and Electronics Engineering, SEP/FSTE, from April 2014.
- Student branch counsellor of IEEE USP Branch, from June 2016
- ROBCON - ABU Asia-Pacific Robot Contest, Team supervisor, Year 2015, 2016
- Library Advisory Committee Reps for faculty, from 2015
- Staff/Student Liaison Committee member from SEP, 2013 to-2015.
- Organized one day intensive workshop under ISTE on “Embedded System Design-RTOS”, 2005
- Co-ordinate ROBOTICS event during COGNIZANCE 2005, State Level Technical Event organized by CIT, 2005
- Chaired a technical session on “Trends in Telecom Transmission: Copper to Fiber” K. J. Somaiya College of Engineering Maharastra State, IEEE, IEI, IETE-Bombay Section, March 2006.
- Co-ordinate ROBOTICS event during VORTEX 2006, National Level Technical Event organized by Education Campus Changa, 2006
- Organized and technically delivered one week intensive Workshop on “Industrial Automation [PLC/SCADA]” under ISTE Chapter during 8th to 12th Jan 2007
- Chaired a technical session on “Wireless Communication and Networking Technologies” IE and IETE Regional seminar, Vadodara, Dec 2008
- Delivered an expert talk topic on “Time management for Teachers” State Training Division of Govt of Gujarat, 2011
- Delivered a seminar talk on “Relay feedback auto-tuning for system identification and control”, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 2012
- Chaired State Level Technical Event on Robotics organized by BITS, Vadodara, Feb 2012
- Technical Chaired in State Level Paper contest on Internet Security and 4G technology organized by IETE and IE, Vadodara Chapter, April 2012
- Delivered a seminar talk on “Introduction to Latex”, for PhD research course work, 2012
- Technical Program Committee member in 3rd Int. Conf. on Electrical and Control Engineering, China, May 2013
- International Program Committee member in 2nd IEEE Conference on Control, Systems & Industrial Informatics, June, 2013, Indonesia
- Delivered a talk on “Advanced control method: PID and Relay Auto-tuning” during Research Retreat organized by ICT Research Group, FSTE, USP, 11-12 April 2013
- Delivered an open seminar on “Advanced RISC Machine” under SEP Research Seminar series–2014, on 14th May 2014.
- International Advisory board member in Int. Conf. on Innovation in Electrical and Electronics Engineering- ICIEEE, for 2014 and 2015.
- General Chairs in International Conference on Mechatronics, Control and Automation Engineering, July 24-25, 2016, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Chaired a technical session in the IEEE International Symposium on Robotics and Intelligent Sensors (IEEE IRIS2016), 17th to 20th Dec 2016, Hosei University Japan.
- Secured a F$49392 grant package from Research Office, USP under SRT Project, 2016
- Grant received U$500 from IEEE R-10, 2016
- Secured a F$1250 grant package from FSTE Research fund, USP, 2015
- Grant received U$500 from IEEE Asian-Pacific Region-10 project contest, 2014
- Secured a F$4,500 grant package from FSTE Research fund, USP, 2013
- Received a ₹10,000 grant from the All India Young Engineers Humanitarian Challenge 2012 for the project "Metropolitan Area Traffic Guidance System", sponsored by IEEE India.
- Scholarship for higher studies (PhD) from AICTE, Govt of India, 2008-2011
- Young Scientist – International Travel Support (ITS) Grant from DST, Govt Of India, 2010
- Gold Medal for standing first in HSC, IPCL School, 1995
||Disclaimer & Copyright l Info l
© Copyright 2004 - 2017. All Rights Reserved.
Page last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017
|School of Engineering and Physics
Faculty of Science and Technology
Private Bag, Laucala Campus,
Tel: (+679) 323 2223/323 2638
Fax: (+679) 323 1538