Disability Resource Centre - Campus Life
The USP Disability Resource Centre (DRC) became operational in March 2013. The DRC works collaboratively with the faculties, sections, departments at the University as well as external stakeholders to ensure that both students and staff with special needs fulfil their potential in an inclusive environment. The University of the South Pacific (USP) inclusive program has a strong commitment to creating an inclusive, barrier free working and learning environment for its students and staff from its twelve member countries. Our aim is to contribute to positive change by providing quality education within a supportive teaching and learning framework.
Support Services Provided by the Disability Resource Centre
- Advice, coordination of meetings with key USP staff
- Awareness & advocacy initiatives
- Volunteer buddy support
- Assistive technology & software e.g. Braille Sense U2, Jaws, NVDA, Read & Write Gold, audio-recorded notes
- Test environment accommodations e.g. extra time, special venue, laptop, embossing, font increase, sign interpreter, JAWS/NVDA
- Designated student space
- Counselling referral support
- Sign language interpreters and basic sign language classes
- Quarterly e-Newsletter titled ‘Be Inclusive’
- Participation in other student programmes e.g. VC’s L&T Forum, JENESYS, etc
- Regional Scholarship Scheme for students with disabilities (new initiative 2017)
As soon as a student discloses formally via the online or manual SAS form and fills in our Voluntary Disability Disclosure Form, discussions are held with the student and academic staff on the types of reasonable accommodations and support services that he or she can access as stipulated under the Disability Inclusiveness Policy (2013).
Disclose with the Disability Resource Centre by following these simple steps:
1. Visit the USP Disability Resource Centre (located behind the Westpac Bank)
2. Must have a USP Offer Letter
3. Medical Report that states your disability OR a letter from a Disability Organization that you are affiliated with.
You can also disclose by filling in the USP Voluntary Disability Disclosure Form and with the above requirements, email to the following:
Feel free to come and talk to us regarding the services that we provide for disable students.
Please take time to view our USP Disability Resource Centre Promo DVD on:
Disability Resource Centre
Phone: 32 31832, Ext: 31832