David Aitchison - School of Engineering and Physics
B.Eng.(Hons.) (Hull), M.Eng. (Hull), Ph.D. (Hull), C.Eng., M.I.Mech.E.
Senior Fellow - Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
Manufacturing Automation, Manufacturing Process Development, Sports Engineering.
Engineering Design, Machine Design, Computer Aided Engineering (CAE), Rapid Prototyping & Manufacturing, Reverse Engineering, Metrology.
Undergraduate Teaching Experience:
• Final Year Projects (Industrially funded design and research based)
• Computer Aided Product Development
• Mechanical Design - year 1
• Mechanical Design - year 2
• Mechanical Systems Design – year 3
• Advanced Mechanical Systems Design – year 3 specialization
• Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
• Manufacturing Technology
• Advanced Manufacturing Technology
• Manufacturing Processes
• Mechanical Science V (HND)
• Mechanical Science IV (HND)
• Mechanical Science III (HNC)
Refereed Journal Publications:
1. PONS, D., BAYLEY, G., LAURENSON, R., HUNT, M., TYREE, C. & AITCHISON, D. 2012. Wire Fencing (Part 1): Determinants of Wire Quality. The Open Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering Journal, 5, 19-27.
2. Aitchison, David R., Brooks, Hadley L., Bain, Joseph B. and Pons, Dirk (2011) Rapid manufacturing facilitation through optimal machining prediction of polystyrene foam. Virtual and Physical Prototyping, 6 (1). pp. 41-46. ISSN 1745-2759
3. Hann, C., Aitchison, D.R., Kirk, D., (2010). Modelling and system identification of a stiff stay wire fence machine, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, July 1, 2010; vol. 224, 7: 1069-1083.
4. Brooks H., Aitchison, D.R., (2010). Using the Finite Element Method to Determine the Temperature Distributions in Hot-wire Polystyrene Cutting, Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, Submitted.
5. Brooks H., Aitchison, D.R., (2009). Force Feedback Temperature Control for Hot-tool Plastic Foam Cutting, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture May 1, 2010 224: 709-719
6. Brooks H., Aitchison, D.R., (2009). A Review of State-of-the-Art Large Sized Foam Cutting Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing Technologies, Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 16 Iss: 5, pp.318 - 327
7. Shaw A., Aitchison D. R., (2006). Data management in small- and medium-sized enterprises using metadata acquired by ‘spyware’. Proc. IMechE Vol. 220 Part B: J. Engineering Manufacture, 220(B5), 797-800.
8. Ilanko, S., Aitchison D. R. and McCallion H., (2006). A passively adaptive screwdriver: a novel concept for controlling off-diagonal stiffness, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science Part C, Vol 220, 1-3.
9. Grace, J.C., Pont, D., Sherman, L., Woo, G., Aitchison, D., (2005). Variability in stem wood properties due to branches. NZ J. of Forestry Science, Vol 36 No 2/3, 313-324
10. Shaw A. I., Aitchison D. R., (2003). Education in management of data created in new technologies for rapid product development in SMEs. Industry & Higher Education. Vol 17 (6): 423-430.
11. D. Aitchison and R. Sulaiman. (2003). Determining the Surface Form of Polystyrene through the Co-ordinate Measurement Machine. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, IMechE Publication. United Kingdom. Vol. 217 Part C. 839-844.
12. Xie, S. Q., Tu, Y. L., Aitchison, D., Dunlop, R. and Zhou, Z. D., (2001). “A WWW based Product Development Platform for Intelligent and Concurrent Sheet Metal Products Design and Manufacturing”, International Journal of Production Research, Volume 39, Number 6, 3829 – 3852.
Refereed Conference Publications:
1. Bain, J., Aitchison, D., Kato, F., Pearse, J., Pons, D., (2011). Acoustic-Feedback Current Control for Thermomechanical Cutting of Polystyrene Foam, NZ Rapid Product Development Conference 2011, Auckland, NZ, 7-8 February 2011
2. Brooks, Hadley Laurence and Aitchison, David (2011) Using the Finite Element Method to Determine the Temperature Distributions in Hot-wire Cutting. In: 12th Rapid Design, Prototyping & Manufacturing Conference. Unspecified. ISBN 978-0-9566643-1-0
3. Aitchison, D., Brooks, H., Bain, J., Pons, D., (2009). An investigation into the prediction of optimal machining conditions for polystyrene foam cut with a taut hot-wire, International Conference on New Technologies in Manufacturing, Galati, Romania, 2009, 19-24.
4. Taylor, M., Posthuma, A.J., Aitchison, D.R., (2008). Semi-automated robotic sculpting of freeform surfaces for direct digital manufacture, Int. Conf. on Manufacturing Eng. (ICME2008), Malaysia, May 2008.
5. Brooks H., Aitchison, D.R., Bain J., (2008). Thermal Plastic Foam Cutting Mechanics for Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing Purposes, 9th Nat. Conf. on Rapid Design, Prototyping and Manfg., Lancaster, UK, June 2008, 33-40.
6. Aitchison, D.R., Bain J., Brooks H., Taylor, M., (2007). Transient Temperature Effects in Hot-wire Plastic Foam Cutting. 4th Int. Conf. on Design and Production of Machines & Dies/Molds, Cesme, Turkey, 19 – 30 June 2007, 219-224.
7. Aitchison, D.R., Taylor, M., et. al., (2006). Feed-rate, temperature and feed-force relationships for foam plastics cut by a taut hot-wire. Int. Conf. on Manf. Sci. and Tech., Melaka, Malaysia, 28-30 August 2006, pp177-180.
8. Aitchison, D.R., Germann, T.S., Taylor, M., (2005) Sculpting of expanded foam plastics for rapid prototyping applications. Leiria, Portugal: Conference on Advanced Research in Virtual and Rapid Prototyping, 28 Sep - 1 Oct 2005.
9. Grace, J.C., Pont, D., Sherman, L., Woo, G., Aitchison, D., (2005). Variability in stem wood properties due to branches. 5th IUFRO workshop, Auckland, New Zealand, Nov 20-27 2005.
10. Shaw A. I., Aitchison D. R. (2004). “Rapid Product Development Data Management Education for Small and Medium Size Enterprises”. 5th Int. Conf. on Information Technology Based Higher Education and Training (ITHET ’04). Istanbul, Turkey. May 2004.
11. David Aitchison, Riza Sulaiman and Malcolm Taylor. (2004). “Hotwire Foam Cutter: Investigating wire resistance at elevated temperature by means of Tube Furnace heating”. Proceeding of the 3rd International Conference in Advanced Manufacturing Technology (ICAMT 2004). Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. May 2004.
12. David R. Aitchison and Riza Sulaiman. (2004). A new adaptable rapid prototyping & manufacturing approach for producing a variety of foam based product solutions. Proceeding of the Nord Design International Conference (NordDesign 2004) - Product Design in Changing Environment. Tempere, Finland. August 2004.
13. David Aitchison and Riza Sulaiman. (2003). “Cutting Expanded Polystyrene: Feed-rate and Temperature Effects on Surface Roughness”. Proceeding of the IASTED International Conference on Modelling and Simulation (MSO 2003). Banff, Alberta, Canada. July 2003.
14. Shaw A. I., Aitchison D. R. (2003). “Education In The Management of Data created by New Technologies For Rapid Product Development in Small and Medium Scale Enterprises”. 4th International Conference on Information Technology Based Higher Education and Training (ITHET 2003). Marrakech, Morocco. July 2003.
15. Shaw, A.; Aitchison, D. (2003) Real Time Rapid Product Development Process Data and Information Management For Smaller Enterprises. Stockholm, Sweden: 14th International Conference on Engineering Design ICED 03, 19-21 Aug 2003. 505-506.
16. Dravitzki B., Aitchison D.R., (2002). “Rapid response injection mould design and manufacture”. 2nd Int.Conf. Rapid Manfg. Turkey. 161-166. June 2002.
17. Aitchison D.R., Grey A., (2002). “A rowing gate-based force sensor for the accurate assessment of propulsive force development”. Int. Conf. on the Engineering of Sport. Kyoto, Japan. 565-72. Aug 2002.
18. Aitchison, D. (2002). "High level CAD automation through API programming- an engineering education case study". 6th International Conference on Engineering, Design and Automation. Maui, Hawaii. CD ROM. Aug 2002.
19. Shaw A. I., Aitchison D. R. (2002). “Education In The Use Of Design Tools And Methodologies For Rapid Product Development In A Global Information Society”. 3rd International Conference on Information Technology Based Higher Education and Training (ITHET 2002). Budapest, Hungary. July 2002.
20. Whybrew, K., Aitchison, D., Raine, J. K. and Shaw, A. (2001). “Use of design tools and methodologies for rapid product development in the New Zealand Manufacturing industry”. Proceedings of ICED 01 - 13th International Conference on Engineering Design. Glasgow. 27-34. August 2001.
21. Aitchison D.R. Whybrew. K., (2001). “Computer aided product development – Integrating design and manufacturing assessment for deeper student learning”. 4th UICEE Annual Conf. on Engineering Education. Bangkok, Thailand. 409-414. February 2001.
22. Hume P., Soper C., Joe G., Williams T., Aitchison D., Gunn S., (2000). “Effects of foot-stretcher angle on the drive phase in ergometer rowing”. IOC Pre Olympic Congress. Brisbane, Australia. September 2000.
23. Sherwood M.J, Devane P.A, Horne J.G., Leslie H.J; Aitchison D.R, Kirk D.F (2000). “A comparison of the measurement of wear in UHMWPE acetabular implants using the Polywear™ three-dimensional method and direct Coordinate Measuring Machine measurement of retrieved cups”. NZ orthopedic Association – 49th Scientific Meeting. Watangi, New Zealand. October 2000.
24. Hume, P.A., Soper, C., Joe, G., Williams, T., Aitchison, D., Gunn,S. (2000). “Effects of foot-stretcher angle on the drive phase in ergometer rowing”. Sports Science New Zealand Conference. Wellington. October 2000.
25. Aitchison, D. R. (2000). Integrated engineering design and advanced manufacturing technology - harmonising academia with industry. 3rd UICEE Annual Conf. on Eng. Educ. Tasmania, Australia. 363-67. Feb 2000.
26. Aitchison, D.R. (2000). "The determination of rowing rigger dynamic performance – deflection criterion". 3rd Int Conference on the Engineering of Sport. Sydney, Australia. 247-54. June 2000.
27. Aitchison, D. (1999). "A new course in integrated engineering design and advanced manufacturing technology". 3rd International Conference on Engineering Design and Automation. Vancouver, Canada. CD ROM. Aug 1999.
28. Aitchison, D. (1998). "Design and development of a flexible and intelligent cutting-tool condition monitoring system for automated production". 2nd International Conference on Engineering Design and Automation. Maui, Hawaii. CD ROM. Aug 1998.
29. Aitchison, D.R., Dalgleish, G.F. and James, R.D. (1997). "Laser based tooling in flexible automation". Procs. of World Congress Manufacturing Technology Towards 2000. Cairns, Australia. 581-8. Sept 1997.