Home - School of Marine Studies
The School of Marine Studies (SMS) lies within the Faculty of Science, Technology and Environment (FSTE).SMS is an interdisciplinary School, integrating science (Marine Science Program) and social science (Marine Management Programme). The School also supports marine programmes in other sections of FSTE, and other Faculties in the University. The diverse marine programmes are coordinated by the Head of School for SMS. The teaching and research programs are developed through the Marine Studies Advisory Board.
SMS Academic Programme branches in two disciplines namely:
- Marine Science Programme
- Marine Management Programme
The School of Marine Studies Mission is to:
- Assist Pacific Islanders to understand, conserve, develop, manage and utilize their living and non-living resources in a rapidly changing world.
- Provide Pacific Islanders with the widest possible range of opportunities for research, education, training and employment in the marine sectors.
- Encourage collaboration within the institutions of The University of the South Pacific, island nations, regional and international bodies for the sustainable development of the marine resources
- To contribute effectively to the sustainable use and governance of the PICís natural resources for the advancement, prosperity and development of the people and for the conservation of its rich biodiversity and environment.
- To prepare human resources capable of generating excellent scientific data and use such information for making informed and rational decisions based on factual evidence for the welfare of people and nature of PICs.
Our key areas are:
- Marine Affairs (Law of Sea, ocean governance and policy, economics, management)
- Sustainable fisheries (inshore, offshore, management)
- Conservation biology
- Coral reefs & marine biodiversity (ecology, conservation, management)
- Coastal management (processes, issues, planning)
- Atolls and small islands (sustainable development, climate change)
- Oceanic societies (Pacific peoples, community based management)
The School of Marine Studies also provides support services to all marine-related activities at the University, including the operations of a research vessel and small boats to access to the field, and a dive facility
Disclaimer & Copyright | Contact Us
© Copyright 2004 - 2017 The University of the South Pacific (USP). All rights reserved.