Ajal Kumar - School of Engineering and Physics
[BSc, GCEd, PGDip (Phy) MSc, PhD (USP)]
Lectuer in Physics
School of Engineering & Physics
Research and Teaching Area
1. A. Kumar, S. Prasad. 2010 Examining wind quality and wind power prospects on Fiji Islands. Renewable energy 35, 536-540
2. R. Deo, A. Kumar, and P. Kumar. Effects of UV radiation on Human Health - Levels of Ultraviolet Radiation in Suva, Fiji'. Fiji Medical Journal. Volume 25 (2), 2006.
3. A. Kumar and R. Deo. Wind Regime in the proximity of the 20 kW experimental turbines at Nabua, Fiji. The South Pacific Journal of Natural Science. Volume 24, 2006.
4. Garimella,S., and Kumar A. Natural radioactivity levels in soils of South-Eastern Vitilevu, Fiji. The South Pacific Journal of Natural Science Volume 15, 1996.
5. Garimella,S., Koshy, K., Chand, S., Kumar, A., Jafar, M., and Prasad, U. “Instrumental neutron activation analysis of tropical mangrove sediments of Fiji”, SOPAC Bulletin, 1998.
1. Prasad, S.B. and Kumar, A. “Energy audit of the University of the South Pacific”, 2nd European Congress on Economy and Management of Energy in Industry proceedings (Estoril, Portugal), 5-9 April 1994.
2. Garimella,S., Jafar, M., Kumar, A., and Prasad, U. “Natural radioactivity of soils of Viti Levu, Fiji”, VIII Pacific Science Inter-Congress, Suva, Fiji, 13-19 July 1997.
3. Garimella,S., Koshy, K., Chand, S., Kumar, A., Jafar, M., and Prasad, U. “Neutron activation analysis of alluvial gold in tropical mangrove sediments of Fiji”, VIII Pacific Science Inter-Congress, Suva, Fiji, 13-19 July 1997.
4. Garimella,S., Kumar, A., Prasad, U., and Jafar, M., “Natural radioactivity levels in soils of Fiji”, Radioactivity and the Environment, Conference of the South Pacific Environmental Radioactivity Association (SPERA), Christchurch, New Zealand, 16-20 February 1998.
5. Weir, T. and Kumar, A. “Wind power in Fiji: (almost) too little or too much”, 3rd Internal solar energy society conference. Asia Pacific Region, Sydney, Australia, 25-28 November, 2008.
6. Kumar, A. “Central Data Repository (CDR) for renewable energy initiatives of the Pacific Island Countries (PIC’s). Sustainable Renewable Energy Resources Workshop, USP, Suva, Fiji, 04 Dec, 2009.
7. Teaching Physics in high Schools, UNESCO funded Science Teachers Workshop, USP, 6 December 2007 (Public Lecture).
8. Renewable Energy for Sustainable Development. USP Tonga Campus, 17 September, 2009, 6.30 pm (Public Lecture).
1. Kumar, A. The study of natural radioactivity of soils using gamma-ray spectroscopy, MSc Thesis, 1996.
2. Kumar, A. Using the Caesium-137 (137Cs) technique to assess soil erosion under sugarcane cultivation in Fiji, PhD Thesis, 2006.
1. Kumar, A., M. Kumar, S.B. Prasad and J.Roberts Energy audit of the University of the South Pacific, 1994.
2. Kumar, A. Sound level monitoring around China Club 1996.
3. Kumar, A and A. Gautam. Environmental Effects from a Wood-fired Boiler, 2007.
1. USP Anti-litter committee (2002-2003)
2. Staff student Liaison Committee (2006- 2009)
3. Fiji College of Agriculture Academic Board (2006)
4. FST Calendar Committee (2006)
5. CROP (EWG) chaired by SOPAC
6. Moderator, FIT Diploma in Agriculture (I) Physics Paper.
7. FST degree 2 and degree 3 advisor (2007-2009)
8. FIT foundation physics assessor for USP Accreditation