Educare centre opened for classes on January 30th – November 23rd. The centre has achieved much as the teachers have worked hard to provide quality early care to our children of different age groups. We take children from 3 years – 5 years old.
ABOUT USP EDUCARE
Working towards the success of ALL learners is our first priority. At the USP Educare Centre, teachers use a variety of strategies to make ALL children feel welcome and we also provide a variety of activities to meet the wide range of needs in children.
Our curriculum is based on play. Children develop basic skills through play. Basic mathematics and science concepts such as categorizing, sorting and matching, making sets, seriating, colors, counting, experimenting and exploring are developed through play. Social skills and language are developed through interacting with one another. Children learn to share, take turns, communicate, negotiate, solve problems and many more skills are developed.
WHY IS EARLY LEARNING IMPORTANT?
- Research shows that learning in the early years lays the foundation for later learning and sets children on a path for school, work and life. Your child will benefit from attending our USP Educare program before they go to school. In our program we encourage families and staff to work together and provide important learning experiences for young children.
By the time children start pre-school they have already been exposed to a variety of experiences and can be developed in many areas: Physically, Intellectually, Linguistically, Emotionally, and Socially. Play is potentially an excellent learning medium and a high quality, play based curriculum/programme that promote children's development in the following interrelated areas:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
- Creative/Aesthetic Development
- Language Development
- Early Mathematical Experiences
- Early Experiences in Science and Technology
- Knowledge and Appreciation of the Environment
The skills developed will help your child for their whole life.
- Parents are requested to participate wherever possible in the Educare program by means of joining the teachers through storytelling, singing, arts and craft activities etc.
- Parents are also encouraged to be active PTA members.
- PTA meetings will be done on a frequent basis and you will be informed through the monthly newsletter.
- Parents are required to bring their children's original birth certificate and medical card for sighting together with the filled enrolment forms.
- Always pack a pair of change & a plastic bag for your child every day.
- Parents are advised to purchase the following:
- Portfolio - "My Learning Journey" – this can be bought from Suva Bookshop
- A book (A4 scrap book) for their project
- Clear pocket files
- 6x4 photo (2)
- Parents are required to pack nutritious snacks/lunch, fruits, water or fruit juice every day. Junk foods are not allowed.
- The health of your child is important to us. Therefore sick children must be seen by your family doctor and stay home until they are better.
- We also requested if you could provide us with the information pertaining your child's health in the enrolment form.
- Please keep in mind we don't allow your child if s/he is sick
- If your child becomes ill during the time in our care, you will be asked to come and get your child unless other arrangements are made.
EXCURSIONS OR 'INCRUSIONS'?
Excursions are part of children's learning program. Excursions are important because they present an ideal opportunity for learning about the world. Whether it's a visit to the local pet shop or a day trip to the aquarium, excursions are cherished part of early childhood education.
OTHER IMPORTANT DEPARTMENT
- Other departments like the Health Ministry, Road Safety, Fire, Police and the Army will be requested to pay visits to the Educare throughout the academic year so children are familiar with the roles they play.
- If the child is sick or cannot attend his/her session, parents are requested to inform the Head Teacher or any of the teachers for that matter. If the absences are foreseeable an application for vacation is necessary.
- Parents will be called when this happens and the staff will look after the child before the parents or guardian arrives. The FAL will also be informed. If the accident is serious, teachers will provide an emergency evacuation to the hospital.
- We discourage children from eating junk foods. We prefer fresh fruits, vegetables and healthy foods for the children. In terms of drinks, children should take a lot of water and natural fruit juices.
- Children are not to bring toys from home as this sometimes causes some inappropriate behaviors in children. We prefer children to use whatever is available at the centre.
- We have adequate amount of toys available to meet the children's need for fine and gross motor play. Toys may be brought from home ONLY if your child is willing to share the toy and it is understood there is always the possibility of the toy getting lost or broken. We will not be responsible for lost or broken toys!
- Children are not allowed to be verbally or physically abused by teachers.
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE
Parents are requested not to leave children alone when no teacher is available at the centre. You are to be with your child until the teacher arrives (in case if happens).
- Please send your child clean, dressed for the day, and fed (if arriving after7:15am). We will be playing and are apt to get dirty, please keep this in mind when you dress your child.
- No one other than the parents or designated person will be allowed to pick up your child (ren) without prior arrangement. We must be notified in advance and have written note with the person's name and relationship to the child. We may request a photo ID.
- If there is a court order keeping one parent away from the child, I must have a copy of the order on file. Otherwise, I cannot prevent the non-custodial parent from picking up their child.
- We would be requesting 2 latest photos of your child to be part of his/her portfolio.
- Photo taking: Documentation of activities is part of the USP Educare program. In this way we can document our experiences, building of friendships, and some memorable times. Parents will be required to give written permission to photograph their child.
- Property Damage:
- Respectful treatment of all property, toys, and furniture is expected. Parents may be asked to pay for any destruction of property that their child causes.
- ALL children's belongings (shoes, bags, containers, clothes etc.) must be label.
- Late Pick-up fee: There will be a charge of $2.00/per child every 10 minutes you are late picking up your child(ren) after the normal contracted time. If you call ahead of time and let me know that you will be late this fee maybe waived or lowered
TERM DATES FOR 2012
There are four terms that correspond with the University Semesters. The Term dates are as follows:
January 30th-April 6th
April 16th - June 22nd
July 2nd - September 7th
September 17th - November 23rd
Morning Session (4 - 6 yrs)
$300.00 per term
Afternoon session (4 - 6yrs)
$300.00 per term
Summer session (1/2 day)
$50.00 a week
The enrollment fee is to be paid on the day of registration ($80.00) annually regardless of which ever time of the year they join the Educare and ($50.00) Building fee.
Please note that school fees are to be paid in advance before the new term begins. All receipts are to be taken to the office for sighting and recordings.
Please be reminded that no child will be allowed to the next term if there are outstanding fees from the previous term.