Head of the School of Government, Development and International Affairs
Professor and Director of Development Studies
School of Government, Development and International Affairs (SGDIA)
Faculty of Business and Economics
University of the South Pacific
Laucala Bay Campus
Private Mail Bag
Suva, Fiji Islands
Tel (679) 323 2093
Fax (679) 323 1523 /323 1524
Previous Senior Positions
- Professor and Director,
Institute of Geography,
School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences, (SGEES),
Faculty of Science, Victoria University of Wellington,
Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Commissioner, Legal Aid Commission, Fiji
- Pro-Vice Chancellor (Academic), The University of the South Pacific (USP)
- 1989 - D.Phil. (Sociology of Development, University of Sussex, Falmer, England)
- 1980 - M.A. (Political Sociology) with distinction, The University of the South Pacific.
- 1974 - B.A. (Social Science, majors in political science, sociology and geography, minor in economics), The University of the South Pacific.
Research Awards and Grants (2007-)
- 2007 UNDP Pacific Centre, Suva, MDGs and Civil Society project (With ECREA, Fr. Kevin Barr) F$90,000
- 2008 EU Office, Suva, Mapping of Non-State Actors in Fiji (with Dr M.Mohanty) Euros 5,000
- 2008-9 ECREA and CARITAS (Australia), Prison Reforms (with Dr S. Ratuva and Dr M. Reddy) F$ 30,000
- 2009 UNESCAP Social Protection in the Pacific (with Dr Manoranjan Mohanty) F $16,000
- 2009 UNESCAP Social Exclusion in Fiji F$ 8,000
Membership of Societies
- 2010 - Co-editor, Journal of Pacific Studies
- 2008 - Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Pacific Studies
- 2008 - Co-ordinator, Asia Pacific Migration Research Network (APMRN)
- 2005 - Co-Chair, Aotearoa/NZ Development Studies Network (DEVNET), Wellington, New Zealand
- 2005 - Member, Global Development Network (GDN).
- 2008 - 2010 Pacific Scholar in Residence, PACE, Australia New Zealand School of Government (ANZSOG)
- Feb. 2007- Board member, Citizens Constitutional Forum, Fiji
- April 2005 – Feb. 2006 Member, Save the Children Fund NZ, OPC, Wellington.
- March, 2005, Member, Pacific Advisory Group, NZ Human Rights Commission, Wellington.
Professional Services and Consultancies
- June-July, 2010 Expert Review Panel on the First Human Mobility Report of the ACP Group of States
- May, 2009 Member Review Team for Pacific Studies and Samoan Studies, Va’amanu Pasifika, Victoria University of Wellington.
- January, 2008 - Referee, Melbourne Journal of Politics
- June, 2005 Referee, International Migration Journal
- February, 2004 Referee, Development Bulletin
- January - April 2004 Chief Technical Adviser and Human Development Specialist with UNDP, Dili, Timor-Leste
Conferences and Conference Papers (2005 -)
- April, 2010, with Naidu, S and Ivarature, H, “Addressing corruption and strengthening accountability through regional governance mechanisms”, 3rd Oceania Development Network Conference, Coral Coast, Fiji.
- April, 2010, with Nailatikau, M, Kumar, R, Lal, P and Temo, L, “ The Impacts of the Millennium Development Goals on Pacific Island Countries”, 3rd Oceania Development Network Conference, Coral Coast, Fiji.
- December, 2009, “Samoa and the MDGs”, FBE Development Policy Dialogue, Apia.
- October, 2009, “Vanuatu and the MDGs”, FBE Development Policy Dialogue, Vila.
- September, 2009, “Social Exclusion in Fiji”, Development Account project on interregional cooperation to strengthen social inclusion, gender equality and health promotion in the Millennium Development Goals, Expert Group Meeting ‘Closing the Gap: Strategies to Combat and Monitor Exclusion’, Bangkok, Thailand
- July, 2009, with Mohanty, M, “ Social Protection Mechanisms and Policies in the Pacific”, UNRISD, USP, UNICEF and UNESCAP, International Workshop on ‘Social Policies in Pacific Island Countries: Policy Recommendations and Impacts of Current Crises’, University of the South Pacific, Suva.
- May, 2009, Convener, “UNESCO, APMRN and USP Workshop on Climate Change Related Migration in the Pacific Islands, USP, Suva.
- March, 2009, “Changing Gears on Achieving the Millennium Development Goals in the Pacific Islands”, Symposium on Eliminating World Poverty: Global Goals and Regional Progress, Institute of Policy Studies, Oxfam NZ and Council for International Development, Pipitea Campus, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington.
- February, 2009, Discussant in Oceania Development Network parallel session on, “Natural Resources and Development in Papua New Guinea” at the 10th Annual Conference of the Global Development Network, Kuwait.
- Nov, 2008, “ Fiji’s Indian and Indo-Fijian diasporas: different contexts of diaspora formation”, 20th conference of International Association of Historians of Asia (IAHA), Jawarlal Nehru University (JNU), Delhi.
- June, 2008, “Migration and Development in the Pacific: reflections and responses”, Pathways, Circuits and Crossroads: New research on population, migration & community dynamics, Government of New Zealand Departments of Labour and Ethnic Affairs and University of Waikato, Wellington.
- June, 2008, “MDGs in the Pacific”, 4th Australasian Development Economists Workshop (ADEW), Australian National University, Canberra.
- April, 2008, “Multi-dimensional ways of thinking about identity and belongingness in Fiji”, Keynote paper for 101st Fiji Principals’ Conference, Fiji College of Advanced Education, Nasinu.
- April, 2008, “Fiji Post Independence Experience –an interpretation”, Factors that shaped the economic and social environment, Leadership Fiji, Suva.
- April, 2008, “Education and Mobility in the Pacific Islands ”, ADB RETA CSO Workshop, PIANGO, Suva.
- January, 2008, with Sanjesh Naidu, “An Overview on Security, Growth and Development in Pacific Island Countries”, 9th Annual Global Development Conference - Security for Development: Confronting threats to Survival and Safety, Brisbane.
- Nov, 2007, “Societal Context of Sexual Exploitation of Children: Change and Vulnerability in the Pacific Islands (CSA and CSEC)”, Regional Stakeholders’ Consultation and Planning Workshop on Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC) and child sexual abuse in the Pacific, Holiday Inn, Suva.
- Nov, 2007, “Oceanic Creativity: Possibilities Galore”, Pacific Writing Forum 10th Anniversary Symposium, University of the South Pacific, Suva.
- Nov, 2007, with Naidu, S, “An Overview on Security, Growth and Development”, 2nd Annual Conference of Oceania Development Network, National University of Samoa, Apia.
- Oct, 2007, with Mohanty.M, Voight-Graf and Muliana, T, “Transnationalisation of Fiji Society”, Migration and Development in Transnational Societies: Pacific Perspectives Workshop, Metropolis Conference, Melbourne.
- July, 2007, “Political Overview of the South Pacific Region: Key Issues and Challenges”, Council for International Development Pre-CHOGM Consultation, Wellington.
- June, 2007, “ Civil society and the Situation in Fiji”, Seminar, Pacific Studies, Victoria University and Council for International Development (CID), Wellington.
- June, 2007, “The Consequences of the December 5 Coup for the Fiji Labour Movement”, State, Society and Governance in Melanesia and the Pacific Centre Workshop, The Fiji Coup-six Months On, Reseach School of Pacific and Asian Studies, Australian National University, Canberra.
- May, 2007, with Voigt-Graf. C and Mohanty. M, “ New Migration in the Pacific”, 8th International Conference of Asia Pacific Migration Research Network (APMRN), Poverty, Migration and Development, Fuzhou.
- April, 2007, “Human Security in the Pacific: Concept Paper”, Civil Society and Human Security Workshop, UNDP Pacific Centre and Citizens Constitutional Forum, Tokatoka Resort, Nadi.
- April, 2007, “Human Rights and Social Justice: Moving beyond the Divide”, The Annual Rev. Paula Niukula Lecture, Ecumenical Centre for Research, Education and Advocacy (ECREA), Marine Studies Lecture Theatre, University of the South Pacific, Suva.
December, 2006, “ The State of the State in Fiji-an Update”, 8th Global Development Network (GDN) Conference Workshop on Fragile States, Beijing.
- Nov- Dec, 2006, Key Note Address, “Globalisation and Small Island States”, 4th Aotearoa New Zealand DevNet International Conference, , Southern Perspectives On Development: Dialogue Or Division? Otago University, Dunedin.
- Nov-Dec, 2006, with Terence Wood, “ The Millennium Development Goals in the Pacific: Progress, Problems and Solutions”, 4th Aotearoa New Zealand DevNet International Conference, , Southern Perspectives On Development: Dialogue Or Division? Otago University, Dunedin.
- October, 2006, with Elizabeth St John-Ives, “Foreign Direct Investment and Quality of Employment in the Tourist Sector: assessing the Quality of FDI using Sen’s Capability Approach”, Conference on Institutions, Globalisation and their Impacts on Labour Markets in Pacific Island Countries, University of the South Pacific, Suva.
- October, 2005, “The State of the State in Fiji: Some Failings in the Periphery”, Conference on Globalisation , Governance and The Pacific Islands, State, Society and Governance in Melanesia Project, Australian National University, Canberra.
- September, 2005, “Development Studies at Victoria University of Wellington”, Greater Mekong Sub-region Tertiary Education Consortium Workshop (GMSTEC), Development Degree workshop, National University of Laos, Vientiane.
- May, 2005, “Issues in Ethical Fund Raising”, Council for International Development (CID), Workshop on Effective and Ethical Fund Raising, St Francis Centre, Auckland.
- May, 2005, “Achieving the MDGs in the South Pacific”, Asia Pacific Alliance International Conference on Human rights, Reproductive Health and MDGs, Bangkok.
- May, 2005, “The Pacific -Paradise Lost? The Impact of Development on Pacific Island Societies and Environment”, Wellington Environmental Association (WEA), The Betty Campbell Centre, Harbour City Tower, Wellington.
- May, 2005, Panelist, Inaugural New Zealand Human Rights Film Festival, Human Rights Network, Aotearoa, Wellington.
- April, 2005, “Breaking the Poverty Circle in the Pacific Islands”, Keynote address, Parkinson Memorial Lecture, University of the South Pacific, Suva.
- January, 2005, Expert reviewer on papers on international migration of medical professionals from Ghana to the United Kingdom and labour migration from the state of Kerala, India to the Gulf States, 6th Annual Conference of the Global Development Network (GDN), Dakar.
Publications (2005 -)
- Books and Monographs
- 2008, With Terence Wood, A Slice of Paradise? The Millennium Development Goals in the Pacific: progress, pitfalls and potential solutions, Working Paper No 1, Oceania Development Network, National University of Samoa, Apia. pp 106.
- 2008, With Lal,, B and Chand, G (eds), 1987: Fiji twenty years on, Fiji Institute of Applied Studies, Lautoka.
- 2005 (forthcoming) (ed), Social Factors in Renewable Energy Use in the Pacific Islands, UNESCO, Paris.
Journal Articles, Published Conference Proceedings & Chapter in Books
- 2009 (a) “Fiji Islands Country Profile on Excluded Groups” for UNESCAP, Social Division, Bangkok. pp 32
- 2009 (b) With Manoranjan Mohanty, “Situational Analysis of Social Protection Policies, Services and Delivery – Mechanisms in the Pacific for UNESCAP, Pacific Centre, Suva. pp 51
- 2008 With Mahendra Reddy and Sitiveni Ratuva, “Fiji Prison Reforms: From Containment to Correction and Beyond” , ECREA, Suva. pp 48
- 2008 With Fr Kevin Barr, “Understanding and Enhancing Civil Society’s Interactions with the Millennium Development Goals in Fiji”, UNDP and ECREA, Suva. pp.46
- 2007 With Manoranjan Mohanty and Raicebe, Taqutu, “ Non-State Actors in Fjii”, A mapping of NSAs for Forum of Non-State Actors (FONSA) and European Union, Suva. pp25
- 2006 With Gomes, R and Takyo, M, Timor –Leste Human Development Report “The Paths Out of Poverty, UNDP, Dili. pp100
- 2009 (a), “Changing Gears on the Millennium Development Goals in Oceania”, Policy Quarterly, Vol.5 No.3, pp 10-19.
- 2009 (b), with Ungjin Kim “Politics of Coup d’etat in Fiji: The Pendulum of Democratic Multiracialism and Ethno-nationalist Extremism”, in Korean Journal of International Studies, Center for International Area Studies, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Vol.12 No.4 (2008) pp 89-109.
- 2009 (c), with Kevin Barr and Kesaia Seniloli, “Poverty Reduction Policies for Fiji”, Journal of Fijian Studies, vol. 5. No.2, pp293-314.
- 2008 (a), “A View on Contemporary Development Issues from the South Pacific: where’s the level Playing Field ?”, Keynote address in Thornton, A and McGregor (eds), Southern Perspectives on Development: Dialogue or Division, Proceedings of the 5th Biennial Conference of the Aotearoa New Zealand Development Studies Network (Devnet), Dunedin 2006, pp 15-28.
- 2008 (b), with Terence Wood, “The Millennium Development Goals in the Pacific: Progress, Problems and Solutions”, in Thornton, A and McGregor (eds), Southern Perspectives on Development: Dialogue or Division, Proceedings of the 5th Biennial Conference of the Aotearoa New Zealand Development Studies Network (Devnet), Dunedin 2006, pp 373-398.
- 2008 (c), “Social Consequences of Coups in Fiji” in Lal. B, Chand. G and Naidu. V (eds) 1987: Fiji Twenty Years On, Fiji Institute of Applied Studies, Lautoka, pp155-172.
- 2007 (a), with Elizabeth St John Ives, “Foreign Direct Investment and Quality of Employment in the Tourist Sector: Assessing the quality of FDI in the Fiji Islands using Sen’s Capability Approach”, The Asia Pacific Economic Journal, 4(2), March, Kagoshima University, pp 171-194.
- 2007 (b), “Coups in Fiji Seesawing Democratic Multiracialism and Ethno-nationalist Extremism”, Devforum, Issue 26, pp 24-33
- 2007 (c), “Key Challenge in Sustainable Island Development”, in G.Baldacchino(ed), A World of Islands, Institute of Island Studies, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlotte. pp529-530
- 2006 (b), “The State of the State in Fiji: Some failings in the periphery”, in Firth, S (ed), Globalisation and Governance in the Pacific Islands, ANU Press, Canberra, pp 297-316
- 2006 (c), Contribution to “Futures and Sustainability” in Baldacchino, G (ed), A World of Islands, Agenda, Malta and Institute of Island Studies Press, University of Prince Edward Island, Canada.
- 2006 (d), with Mohanty, M. and Reddy. M, “International migration, human capital loss and development in the South Pacific: The case of Fiji”, in Ferro.K and Wallner. M (eds.), Migration Happens: Reasons, Effects and Opportunities of Migration in the South Pacific, LIT –Verlag, Muenster (Germany), Vienna, 151-166.
- 2005 (a), “Development Assistance Challenges” in Powles, M (ed), Pacific Futures, Pandanus Books, Australian National University, Canberra.
- 2005 (b), “Education and Nation Building” in Sanga, K (et.al ), Re-Thinking Aid Relationships in Pacific Education, He Parkere, Institute of Research and Development in Maori and Pacific Education, School of Education, Victoria University of Wellington and the Institute of Education, University of the South Pacific, Wellington and Suva.
- 2005 (c), "Underdevelopment and Conflict" in Henderson, J and Watson, G (eds), Securing a Peaceful Pacific, University of Canterbury Press,Christchurch, pp 370-375.
- 2005 (d), with Reddy,M and Vositaka, S, “Determinants of Household Savings Behaviour in an Emerging Economy: Market
||Disclaimer & Copyright l Contact Us l
© Copyright 2004 - 2013. All Rights Reserved.
Page updated: Thursday, November 29, 2012
|School of Government, Development and International Affairs
The University of the South Pacific
Private Bag, Laucala Campus,
Tel: +679 323 2297
Fax +679 323 1523