Welcome to USP.! You are invited to become a member of the Association of the University of the South Pacific Staff (AUSPS). It represents the Academic and comparable staff at USP and currently there are around 200 financial members. Download the membership application form.
- helps develop strategies to advance the welfare of its members in its capacity as a representative of the staff of USP
- defends academic freedom and promotes excellence in all aspects of research and teaching.
- offers members an arena to share ideas and experiences with colleagues
- makes regular submissions on terms and conditions of employment, including professional matters directly to USP management or through various committees of USP
- registered as a trade union in Fiji and is a member of the Confederation of USP Unions, which includes the USP Staff Union and the USP Hourly Paid Union.
- is an affiliate of the Fiji Trade Union Congress and belongs to the network of international university staff associations such as the Association of the University Staff (AUS), New Zealand and National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU), Australia.
Who is Eligible?
- All academic staff
- All research and comparable staff
- Those on training or study leave without pay
All the above mentioned must not be members of any other trade union registered in Fiji at the time of application.
- University management and council will want to hear from their own staff
- University management and council will be receptive to academic staff issues and concerns.
- You become more familiar with issues that affect your employment.
- You have a voice on issues that affect academic and comparable staff.
- Larger membership increases clout
- AUSPS seeks to redress all its members grievances with regards to factors affecting the quality of their work life
- Negotiation strength in numbers.
- A modest grant in case of hardship and emergencies
- Legal assistance (limited by resources available)
- Social get-togethers
- Discounts with various companies
AUSPS has successfully:
- negotiated the salary index approval and acceptance by USP which has raised USP staff salary by a total of 16%
- won a number of grievance cases
- negotiated the Union's place in a number of University Committees
- represented USP staff on issues related to their employment and well being.
- to continue our work towards ensuring a productive environment for our members
- to act as a watchdog in safeguarding the interests of our members
- To reach further deals for shopping, entertainment and holiday discounts with various other companies.