The Chemical Society of the South Pacific
Welcome to CSSP Online, the home of the Chemical Society of the South Pacific on the World Wide Web.
Affiliated to the Federation of Asian Chemical Societies, the Chemical Society of the South Pacific (CSSP) is one of 175 Professional Chemical Societies worldwide. It has a total membership of over 100 and is governed by an Executive Committee of 21 professionals and students.
The Chemical Society of the South Pacific was the brainchild of Dr Madhu Jogia and Professor Jim Headridge of the Chemistry Department at the University of the South Pacific. The inaugural meeting was held in 1985, and a constitution was drafted and accepted; the constitution being modelled on that of the Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI), and indeed their office in Melbourne gave some help towards setting up the Society. Dr Jogia became the first president.
Since its inception, the Society has been responsible for promoting Chemistry, particularly in the Pacific Region. This has been achieved through workshops, symposiums, outreach activities and competitions such as Chemquiz, Titration Competition and Chemproject. Over the years, numerous schools in the Pacific Region have become members of the CSSP.
This web site, kindly hosted by University of the South Pacific, is part of our ongoing commitment to the advancement of chemical science throughout the region.
A noticeboard of CSSP News and Events
In the 2010-2011 AGM, the following office bearers were elected for 2011-2012:
President - Dr Ikhtiar Ahmed
Vice President - Dr David Rohindra
Secretary: Ms Romila Gopalan
Treasurer: Ms Roselyn Lata
Ms Esha Chetty
Ms Riteshma Devi
Ms Laisani Taukei
The following are the office bearers of the CSSP (2009-10):
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Surendra Prasad- President
Dr. Ikhtiar Ahmed- Vice President
Dr. Culwick Togamana- Secretary
Mrs. Joslin Lal- Treasurer
Mr. Vimlesh Chand- EC member
Mr. Amon Deo- EC Member
Mr. Riaz Ali- EC Member
2. The "End of the Year Party" of the CSSP was held on 26 November 2009 at FSTE Coffee Room at 6.00pm. All CSSP members are cordially invited to attend the party.
3. The CSSP organised to Morning Tea for Chemistry Graduating students on Friday, 13 Nov 2009 at 10am.
4. March 2010 Issue of the CCSP NEWS LETTER sent to all 135 High Schools in Fiji.
5. In 2010, the CSSP has introduced TWO new events: National Poster Competition and National Chem Battle.
6. The Preliminary rounds of the Regional Titration Competition, National Poster Competition and National Chem Battle will be held on 26 June 2010 at the various designated Centres in Fiji. Complete information with REGISTRATION FORM related to these three events has already been sent to all 135 High/Secondary Schools in Fiji.
7. in 2010, the Titration Competition and Chem Quiz will also be held to few sland countries such as Tonga and Solomon Islands.