The Health Care Scheme has been in operation since 1993 and has proved to be a great success. The attractive features of the scheme are as follows:
- members can consult the University Medical Officers at the Medical Centre free of charge regardless of the number of consultations during each semester;
- members may be referred by the Nursing Sister or other authorised persons to consult the University Medical Officers at their surgeries in town, again free of charge, or to the local hospital after hours;
- members may be referred by the University Medical Officers to private Specialists for treatment free of charge;
- all costs related to:
- local hospitalisation;
- medications and/or treatment prescribed by the University Medical Officers or by Specialists to whom members have been duly referred;
- dental and optical consultations/treatment available at local government hospital as prescribed by the University Medical Officers (this treatment does not include prescription and provision of dentures and/or spectacles)
are met by the scheme;
- the non-student spouses of members from countries other than Fiji are charged the same membership fee;
- members' children who are under 18 years of age or are still attending secondary school are charged 50% of the membership fee. The maximum fee charged to any one family is not to exceed three times the annual membership fee;
- members from within Fiji are covered in the 1st semester from the date of registration to the end of the semester as specified in the University Calendar and from the beginning of Semester 2 to the end of that semester as specified in the University Calendar.
- Members from outside Fiji are covered from the date of arrival in the country immediately before registration until they return home at the end of semester 2.
Membership is compulsory for all students from outside Fiji but optional for Fiji students. Exception may be granted on application to the Community Services Office for those who are members of any other health scheme.
Given the costs of consultation and drugs in and around the Suva area, students would be better off by joining the Student Medical Scheme. The current Health Services Fee is listed in the fee schedule.