Associate Professor, Coordinator of Postgraduate Studies in the Development Studies Program and Director of Research, SGDIA
Development Studies Program
School of Government, Development and International Affairs
Faculty of Business and Economics
The University of the South Pacific
Laucala Bay Campus
Private Mail Bag
Suva, Fiji Islands
Tel (679) 323 2537
Fax (679) 323 1523
Mohanty joined Development Studies Program in 1999. Previously, he was engaged in research and postgraduate teaching at Political Geography Division, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. Mohanty has obtained a first class throughout his educational/academic career. He had qualified All India National Entrance Test (NET) in the subject of geography under the aegis of the University Grants Commission (UGC), India and he was a recipient of UGC’s National Research Associateship. Mohanty has a wide range of specialism and many areas of interest in research and teaching. Mohanty has participated in many international conferences, workshops and symposia. He maintains a sound publication profile as well. He has six books /monographs and many research papers to his credit.
Mohanty has a keen interest towards development theories and policies. In his research and teaching, he focuses on the processes, linkages and patterns of change and development covering many aspects -- social, economic, political and environmental from an interdisciplinary perspective and at local, national, regional and international levels. His research interests focus primarily the developing world and in particular the Asia-Pacific region. Currently, his research covers the Pacific Island countries especially Fiji and Oceania as a whole. For details, see below:
- BSc (Hons, First Class & Distinction) - Geography (Utkal University)
- MA - Geography (Jawaharlal Nehru University)
- M Phil- Human and Development Geography (Jawaharlal Nehru University)
- PhD - Human and Development Geography (Jawaharlal Nehru University)
- Diploma in Personnel Management (Delhi Institute of Management and Services, New Delhi)
Teaching Responsibilities as Coordinator
- DG 415: Urbanisation, Development & Urban Planning
- DG 417: NGOs, Civil Society & Development
- DG 422: Environment Change & Green Development
Other Postgraduate Teaching
- DG 400: Advanced Research Methodology
- DG 420: Regionalism & Policy Development (2 weeks Lecture).
Areas of Research Interest
- Urbanisation and development
- NGOs, civil society and development
- International migration
- Aid and development
- Poverty and social development
- Population and sustainable development
- Tourism and development
- Environment and climate change
- Small Island Developing States
Dr. Mohanty has been supervising several Masters and Ph D students for their theses. Many students have successfully completed their theses and been awarded degrees under his supervision.
For full list, please click here.
BOOKS / MONOGRAPHS (2006-):
- Mohanty, M. (2008). A Handbook of Non-state Actors (NGOs and CSOs) in Fiji, Development Studies Program, The University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji. 93 pages.
- Kaitani, M., Mohanty, M., Muliana, T., Kumar, R., Kumar, S. and Naidu, V. (2011). Development on the Move: Measuring and Optimizing Migration’s Economic and Social Impacts in Fiji, Oceania Development Network, The University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji. 62 pages.
JOURNAL ARTICLES, BOOK CHAPTERS AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS (2006-):
- (2012). “New renewable energy sources, green energy development and climate change: Implications to Pacific Island countries”, Management of Environmental Quality, 23 (3):264-274.
- (2012). ‘Minimizing the environmental damage from climate change via green development’ in K. Roy and S. Kar (eds), Development Management in the Twenty First Century, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York, USA. (In press).
- (2012). “Human Dimensions, Creativity and Environmental (Climate) Change: Implications to Pacific”, Dreadlocks: Oceans, Islands and Skies, Special Issue, Volume 6/7, 2010/2011: 193-218.
- (2012). “Global warming”, In G. J. Geoffrey, P. K. Bradley, S. Matt, and H. Ryan (eds), The Encyclopedia of Crisis Management, Sage, USA, (Forthcoming).
- With Prasad, B.C. (2012). “Suva City: challenges and opportunities”, In I. Shirley and C. Neill (eds), Asian and Pacific Cities, Routledge (In press).
- (2011). “Informal social protection and social development in Pacific Island Countries: Role of NGOs and Civil Society”, Asia-Pacific Development Journal, December, 18(2): 25-56.
- (2011). ‘Urban Service Delivery and Regional Cooperation in the Pacific Island Countries: Challenges and Opportunities’, The Journal of Pacific Studies, 31(1): 59-78.
- (2010). “Urbanisation, climate change and environmental sustainability in SAARC: future challenges” in S. Soz and R. N. Srivastava (eds), SAARC: Emerging Challenges, Foundation for Peace and Sustainable Development, New Delhi. pp. 307-324.
- (2010). ‘Local Hazards’, in P.K. Bradley, S. Matt and Matt Statler and G. J. Geoffrey (eds), Encyclopedia of Disaster Relief, Volume 1, Sage Publication, USA, pp. 389-390.
- (2008). ‘Community development approaches to urban disaster management in small island developing states: Role of NGOs in Fiji islands’, in M. Clarke, P. Conors et al (eds), ‘Community Development and Ecology: Engaging ecological sustainability through community development’, Centre for Citizenship, Development and Human Rights, Deakin University, Melbourne. pp. 291-312.
- (2009). ‘Rural-Urban Migration: An overview of current patterns and debates’, Just Change: Critical Thinking on Global Issues, Wellington, New Zealand, 4-5.
- (2009). ‘Falling Short: Millennium Development Goals in the Pacific’, in Just Change: Critical Thinking on Global Issues, Wellington, New Zealand, February-May, 14:12.
- (2008). Globalisation, new labour migration and development in Fiji Islands. In A. K. Pradhan (ed), Globalisation, Economic Development and Brain Drain, ICFAI University Press, Hyderabad, India. pp. 206- 222.
- (2008). ‘UN Millennium Development Goals and Poverty Alleviation in South Asia’, in I. A, Saradgi, S.K Sahni and R. N. and Srivastava (eds), SAARC: Socio-Economic Transformation, Foundation for Peace and Sustainable Development, New Delhi. pp.105-124.
- (2007). ‘The Third sector and Social Development in Small Pacific Island Countries: Constraints and Opportunities in Fiji Islands’ in B. Prasad and K.C. Roy (eds). Development Problems and Prospects in Pacific Islands States, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York, USA. pp 229 -244.
- (2006). 'Urban squatters, the informal sector and livelihood strategies of the poor in Fiji Islands'. Development Bulletin, No. 70, April, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia. pp. 65-68.
- (2006). ‘Globalisation, New Labour Migration and Development in Fiji Islands’, S. Firth (ed.), Globalisation, Governance in the Pacific Islands, , State, Society and Governance in Melanesia Program Studies in State and Society in the Pacific, No. 1, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, pp 107-120.
- (2006). ‘Urbanisation, solid waste management and environmental sustainability in South Pacific cities’, in J. Singh (ed.), Society, Sustainability and Environment, Shivalik Publication, New Delhi,pp1-27.
PROFESSIONAL & TECHNICAL REPORTS (2006-):
- Kaitani, M., Mohanty, M. Muliana, T., Kumar, R., Kumar, S. and Naidu, V. (2010). Development on the Move: Measuring and Optimising Migration’s Economic and Social Impacts in Fiji, A Joint Project of Global Development Network (GDN), New Delhi and the Institute of Public Research (ippr), United Kingdom. Final Report submitted to GDN in 2010. 75 pages.
- Naidu, V. and Mohanty, M. (2009). Situation Analysis of Social Protection Policies, Services and Delivery Mechanisms in the Pacific: Final Report submitted to UNESCAP, October, Suva. 56 Pages.
- Mohanty, M. and Naidu, V. (2009). Urbanisation in Fiji and French Polynesia: Needs and challenges. Final Report submitted to French Embassy, July, Suva. 23 Pages.
- Mohanty, M., Naidu, V. and Tugutu R. (2007). Non-State Actors (NSAs) in Fiji: Final Report’, Part I and Part II, August, Submitted to European Union (EU) Office, Suva.38 Pages.
CONFERENCE/WORKSHOP PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS (2006-):
- (2011). “Urbanization, Climate change and Urban Environmental Sustainability in Small States in the Asia-Pacific Region: Future challenges and opportunities”, Paper presented at the Eleventh Asian Urbanization Conference, 10-13 December, 2011, Department of Geography, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India.
- (2011). “ Neoliberal Urbanization, Green and Affordable Housing Strategy in Asia and the Pacific: Challenges and Opportunities in India”, Paper presented at 2011 APNHR Conference Neoliberalism & Urbanization in Asia Pacific: Challenges & Opportunities for Housing, 8 – 10 December 2011, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Mohanty, M. and Prasad, B. C. (2011). “Suva Urban & Environmental Planning, Management and Economic & Social Development: Coping with uncertainty”, Paper presented at Asia-Pacific Metropolitan Development For Local Economic & Social Development in Cities of the Asian & Pacific Region, 21-23 November 2011, Vietnam National University, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam,
- Mohanty, M. (2010). ‘New Renewable Energy Sources, Green Energy Development and Climate Change: Implications to Pacific countries’, Paper presented at International Conference on Renewable Energy and Climate Change - Focus on the Pacific (ICRECC2010), 6-8 December 2010, USP, Suva, Fiji.
- (2010). ‘Green Development in Environmental and Climate Change Crisis: A Strategy on Minimizing the Impact in Developing Countries’, Paper presented at International Conference on Development , Organized by International Institute of Development Studies (IIDS), Australia & IIMS, Calcutta , 13- 18 December 2010 in Kolkata, India.
- (2010). ‘Urban Growth and Environmental Change in Pacific Cities: Can they be Sustainable?’, Paper presented at International Conference on Future Challenges, Ancient Solutions: What we can learn from the past about managing the future in the Pacific, Session B: Sustainable Development: Illusion or Achievable Goal? , 29th November-3rd December 2010, Laucala Campus, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.
- (2010). ‘Urbanisation, Global Environmental Change and impacts on Coastal Urban Areas in Pacific Island Countries: Challenges and Opportunities’, Paper presented at International Conference on Urbanisation and Global Environmental Change, 15-17 October 2010, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, USA.
- (2010). ‘Informal Social Protection and Social Development in the Pacific Island Countries: Role of NGOs and Civil Society’, Paper presented at Social Policy, Social Welfare Systems and Human Security in the Pacific Conference held on 5- 7 October 2010, Laucala Campus, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.
- Mohanty, M., Naidu V. and Storey, D. (2010). Excluded Groups, Social Protection Failures and the MDGs in the Pacific Islands, Paper presented at Islands of the World Conference XI: Celebrating Island Connectivities, 23-26 August, 2010, Bornholm, Denmark.
- Pende, L. and Mohanty, M. (2010). ‘ Migration to Honiara City, the Solomon Islands: Issues and challenges’, Paper presented at International Conference on Future Challenges, Ancient Solutions: What we can learn from the past about managing the future in the Pacific, Session D: Island Peoples on the Move, 29th November-3rd December 2010, Laucala Campus, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.
- Naidu, V. and Mohanty, M. (2009). ‘Situation Analysis of Social protection Policies, Services and Delivery Mechanisms in the Pacific’ presented at UNRISD/USP/UNICEF/Commonwealth Secretariat and UNESCAP Conference on Social Policies in Pacific Island Countries: Policy Recommendations and Impact of Current Crises, 22-23 July, Suva, Fiji.
- (2009). ‘Climate Change, Natural Disasters and Pacific Cities: Floods in Urban Fiji’, Paper presented at UNESCO/APMRN/ School of Governance and Development Studies/FBE, USP Workshop on Climate Change Related Migration, 14-15 May, 2009, Graduate School of Business Conference Room, Statham Campus, Suva, Fiji.
- (2008). ‘Urban transport, poverty and sustainability in the Least Developed Southeast Asian and Pacific countries: Challenges and Opportunities’, Paper presented at SEAGA International Conference , 3-6 June, Cuezon City, Manila, the Philippines.
- (2007). ‘City-ward migration, vulnerability and adaptability of internal migrant population in Fiji’, Paper presented at the Fourth International Conference on Population Geographies, 10-13 July, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- (2007). ‘Urbanisation and Sustainability in the Least Developed Southeast Asian and Pacific Countries: Challenges and Opportunities’, Paper presented at the Ninth Asian Urbanisation Conference ,18-23 August , Kangwon National University, Chuncheon, Republic of Korea.
- Voigt-Graf, C., Mohanty, M. and Naidu, V. (2007). ‘ New Migration in the Pacific Islands’, Paper presented at the 8th International Conference of the Asia Pacific Migration Research Network (APMRN), 26-29 May, 2007, Fuzhou, Fujian, China.
- Naidu, V., Voigt-Graf, C., Mohanty, M. and Muliaina, T. (2007). ‘Transnationalisation of Fiji society’, Paper presented at the Workshop on Pacific Islands Migration, Metropolis Conference, 8-12 October, 2007, Melbourne, Australia.
- (2006). ‘Squatters, vulnerability and adaptability of urban poor in a Small Island Developing State: The context of Fiji Islands’, Paper presented at International Geographical Union Commission (IGU) Conference on Population and Vulnerability, 3-7 July, 2006, Brisbane, Australia.
- (2006). ‘Globalisation, New Labour Migration and Development in Fiji Islands’, Paper presented at International Conference on Globalisation, Governance in the Pacific Islands, State, Society and Governance in Melanesia Program Studies in State and Society in the Pacific, No. 1, 25-27 October, 2005. Australian National University, Canberra, Australia.
- (2006). ‘Third sector and social development in small Pacific Island States: issues and challenges in Fiji Islands’ Paper presented at the Fifth International Conference on Governance and Development, 1-3 December, 2005 organised by International Institute for Development Studies in collaboration with School of Economics, Faculty of Business & Economics, The University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji.
||Disclaimer & Copyright l Contact Us l
© Copyright 2004 - 2013. All Rights Reserved.
Page updated: Tuesday, December 04, 2012
|School of Government, Development and International Affairs
The University of the South Pacific
Private Bag, Laucala Campus,
Tel: +679 323 2297
Fax +679 323 1523