The Impact of ICT on Rural Development
in Solomon Islands: the PFnet Case - Research
The "The Impact of ICT on Rural Development
in Solomon Islands: the PFnet Case "
research was funded by the ICT Research Grant
to examine the impact of PFNet on lives of poor
grass root rural people in the Solomon Islands.
The PFNet was established in 2001 and is managed
by the Rural Development Volunteer Association
The research findings on impact of PFnet on the
lives of the poor grass root rural people include
- PFnet has assisted in reducing the 'digital
- PFnet has helped farmers to contact relevant
agricultural authorities and NGOs to get information
and advice on farming matters.
- Rural businesspeople use PFnet services to
develop business customer contracts in Honiara
and other towns and carry out many other business
- Education was the second major reason (36%)
for using PFnet services.
- Around 6% of people use PFnet's services for
health related issues. The main users are doctors,
nurses, and health workers who email regarding,
medical results, diagnosis, treatment advice,
- PFnet news service has contributed towards
security, peace building and reconciliation
by reducing the number of false rumours and
Based of the research findings the report identified
some recommendations for stakeholders to consider.