News @ USP


Niue begins first MBA cohort

Back to News »


Dr. Sunia Vosikata (front, middle) is flanked by Mrs Birtha Togahai, Director of Education and Mr Richard Hipa, Former Secretary to Cabinet with the MBA cohort.

The University of the South Pacific’s (USP) Niue Campus is excited to welcome its inaugural Master of Business Administration (MBA) Niue cohort.

Following orientation on 13 May 2019, MBA 423 (Human Resource Management) and MBA 435 (Organisational Behaviour) have been going on well with Dr. Sunia Vosikata from the Laucala Campus

Dr. Sunia is currently moulding the students back into learning mode as almost all are matured students and have been away from the classroom for quite some time. 

So far 27 students have been registered out of the 29 admitted.  About 70 per cent are from Government with the remaining 30 per cent from the private sector.  

According to Mrs. Birtha Lisimoni Togahai, the Director of Education, Niue, having the MBA programme in Niue is a milestone and it is going to be doing a lot of good to the Government, especially in improving the management skills of its workforce. 

She stated that, “the offering of the MBA has come to Niue at an opportune time.  The country needs this kind of training and they have been trying for so long to bring the MBA programme to Niue.  Since it is here, we will make the most of it”.

Mr. Hagen Siosikefu, a member of the Niue Public Service Commission (PSC), shared similar sentiments saying, “We are hoping and expecting to see a lot of improvements in the way we do things in our Public Services as a result of this programme”.  

Both Mrs Togahai and Mr Siosikefu are in the MBA cohort.

This offering in Niue follows the new staircase structure of the MBA programme where students will complete three courses after which they will graduate with a Postgraduate Certificate in Human Resource Management (PGCHRM).  

The completion of another 3 courses, following the PGCHRM, will result in a Postgraduate Diploma in HRM after which students will have to complete six more courses to finally graduate with their MBA.  At the end of the programme, students will not only graduate with their MBA but PGCHRM and PGDHRM.

The Niue Government is working on some funding mechanism to cover the costing for the first 3 courses for the PGCHRM. 

Mr. Seone Lolesio, Niue Campus Director is optimistic that the Niue Government will continue funding students towards the completion of their MBA programme.   


This news item was published on 29 May 2019 11:35:51 am. For more information or any High-Res Images, please contact us on email communications@usp.ac.fj


News @ USP



Newsletter





Disclaimer & Copyright | Contact Us |
© Copyright 2004 - 2019. All Rights Reserved.
The University of the South Pacific
Laucala Campus, Suva, Fiji
Tel: +679 323 1000