School of Education
+679 32 32535
BSc, MSc. (Chemistry)[CSJM Univ], GCTT, PGDE, MEd [Sth Pc.], PhD [Sth Pc.]
Certified Online Instructor (Specialization in Online Admin. Practices) [OLC, USA]
Certified Peer Reviewer (Blended & Online Course Quality) [QM, USA]
- Programme Coordinator, Post Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching (PGCTT) and eLearning
- Co-Manager, Teachers Educational Resource and Elearning Centre
- Coordinating two out of three PGCTT Courses:
- ED401 (Learning and Teaching in Higher Education) and
- ED403 (Innovation in Learning Technologies and Professional Practices
Note: ED401 and ED403 revised in 2016-2017.
2.Managing and Coordinating TEREC activities:
- Faculty Professional Development on Learning and Teaching
- Outreach in the region
- Research and Consultancy in ICT in Education in the Pacific Island Countries
- Postgraduate Online Course developed and taught
- ED403 (Teaching Online: Pedagogy and practice) (Online mode); It was part of PostGraduate Diploma in Tertiary Teaching (PGDTT). 2011-2013
- Other Courses Taught as required by the School in the past:
- ED252 (Educational Psychology and the Teaching-Learning Process (Blended mode)
- ED255 (Introduction to Curriculum Development) (Blended mode)
- ED355 (Curriculum Development in Practice) (Blended mode)
- ED216 (Science and Social Studies II): Teaching Science component (Distance mode with satellite tutorials and Moodle support)
- ED300 (Practicum: ECE, Primary, Secondary, SIE): Assessing Science classes for Secondary school Teachers
- ED359 (Educational Research Methods) (Online mode)
Guest Lectures and Workshops for ICT integration in Education for the following courses:
- ED455 (Advanced Curriculum Studies): Guest Lecture on ‘ICT and Higher Education
- Curriculum’; Postgraduate Course.
- ED250 (Curriculum Studies I): Guest Lecture and 2-hour workshop on ‘Effective use of ICT to
- enhance teaching and learning in the Pacific’
- ED350 (Curriculum Studies II): Guest Lecture and 2-hour workshop on ‘Embedding ICT in Curriculum’
- ED153 (School and Society): Guest Lecture on ‘ICT in education: Regional and International context’
- Taught an Online Chemistry Course as a P/T Lecturer with School of Education. Online teaching of CHF02 (Foundation Chemistry offered online for the first time at USP under ‘World Health Organization’ project and funding). Semester 1, 2010.
- Prior to 2009, taught undergraduate and postgraduate courses in General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry (one year only) and Industrial Chemistry (Paints and Petroleum), Senior High School Chemistry (5 years).
25+ years of work experience in Kenya, Papua New Guinea and now Fiji (Includes General and Organic Chemistry Teaching and Research and Consultancy). Over 15 years of Chemistry teaching, research (and consultancy) in tertiary Institutions and 5 years of Senior School Chemistry (includes IB,‘A’ level, ACT, KCSE, AISSCE, PNGHSC) Chemistry. Also worked at an International Research Laboratory for a short period. 25 years of eLearning and ICT integrated pedagogies as practitioner and trainer in Chemistry and now (since 2010) in Education.
Currently, Elearning Academic and Practitioner and Teacher Educator (Tertiary teaching) and Research and consultancy.
eLearning; Technology enhanced Learning; mLearning; MOOCs, Learning Analytics; Open Educational Resources; Science Education; Chemistry Classrooms and learning and teaching; International Comparative Education, Learning and Teaching in Schools and Higher Education
Natural Product Chemistry; Tissue Culture; Environmental Chemistry.
Computer & Instrumentation
Software I have worked with: Started with Word Perfect (5.1 onwards), MS Office 95 and onwards. Harvard Graphics, Statistical Analysis System, SPSS (Since 2010), Chemistry software such as Chemword (in early 90s), Chemdraw and other software (on Organic Chemistry Portal), ChemSpider, HyperChem and Virtual Labs and Simulations in Chemistry (as learning and instructional tools in Chemistry). Now, as an eLearning academic, practitioner and researcher, I carry out trials and use (and recommend to educators and education officers) a variety of software for educational purpose.
Language Studied: C++ in UNIX and MS dos environment, HTML
Instrumentation: Gas Chromatography, High Performance Liquid Chromatography, Gas Chromatography-Electro Antennae Detector, Gas chromatography-Electro Antennae Gram, UV-Vis Spectroscopy, IR Spectroscopy
Competent in use of various Learning Management Systems (LMS)/Course Management System (CMS) such as Moodle etc. and other learning tools used in elearning. Similarly, excellent overall understanding of Elearning skills (pedagogical and technical) for learning and teaching in formal and non-formal sector
Computer Assisted Learning practices such as simulations in Chemistry and other Sciences. Game Based learning to enhance numeracy and literacy and Science.
- PhD (Supervision Completed)
- Kusum Lata (Lacuala Campus, Fiji) – PhD (2020): Pre-service students’ perception of teaching practice; Supervised as ASSOCIATE SUPERVISOR
- Peaua Heiumuli (Regional Student from Tonga) – PhD (2019): An Examination of the Potential of Open Schooling for Second-Chance Education in Tonga; Supervised as ASSOCIATE SUPERVISOR
- Masters (Supervision Completed)
- Samsun Aiyub (Laucala Campus, Fiji) – Master of Education (2020): Lived Experiences of graduate nurses in Fiji; Supervised as PRINICIPAL SUPERVISOR.
- Simione Tuisavou (Port Vila Campus Vanuatu and now Laucala Campus Fiji) - Master of Education (2020): A Qualitative Meta-Analysis of case studies on the use of e-portfolios for language learning: A Grounded Theory Approach; Supervised as PRINICIPAL SUPERVISOR.
- Kervin Livingstone (International Student from Guyana) – MEd (2014): Exploring the potential of elearning practices at the University of Guyana. Supervised as the PRINICPAL SUPERVISOR
- Current Supervision:
- Currently supervising 2 masters and 4 PhD candidates in the areas of eLearning, Science Education, Learning and Teaching spread across Pacific Island Countries.
- Supervised numerous Undergraduate Chemistry Projects prior to moving to Education
- Sustainably Transforming Learning through ICTs (FJD 51,052), USP Research Office, Fiji. Completed 2013
- An investigation of elearning initiatives in regional USP member countries: Fiji, Kiribati, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu and Vanuatu (USP Research Office Grant subject to approval from Education Ministries in each of the six countries)
- Education and awareness for a clean and healthy living in rural communities in Fiji “See Solar Cook Solar” project in Fiji (FJD 31000appox.), Soroptimist International, UK, Completed, 2014-2016.
- Using OER to write course books on Technical and Vocational Skills Development (TVSD), 2017 (Commonwealth of Learning)
- Capacity Building Workshop for Solomon Islands, Tuvalu and Fiji, 2016 (Commonwealth of Learning)
- Education development challenges and potential for open and Flexible learning in Tuvalu. 2015 (Commonwealth of Learning)
- Capacity Building Workshop for Solomon Islands and Fiji. 2016 (Commonwealth of Learning)
- ICT integrated pedagogies (Ministry of Education, Fiji)
- Chemistry Curriculum Adviser (Ministry of Education, Fiji), 2010. Pro Bono
- Provide consulting Services and Advice on eLearning projects and ICT integrated pedagogies in PICs to different Educational organizations and Ministries of Education such as Tuvalu, Samoa, Vanuatu, Fiji. Ongoing (Since 2010 - ). Pro Bono
- Phytochemical analysis (Kava samples from across Papua New Guinea) (1999-2007)
Committees and Community engagement
1. Currently member of School of Education Committees:
- Post Graduate and Research Committee
- Examination moderation Committee
- Social Committee
2. School of Education Website Coordinator
3. Faculty Staff Development Workshop Coordinator
4. Contribute/ed to various committees at USP:
Cuurently to "Elearning Innovations and Technical Enhancements" (eLITE) (Previous “Moodle Working Group")
1. University wide Faculty development workshops and eLearing related activities with Ministries of Education in the region (as part of TEREC activities).
2. As an active community worker, I have collaborated with different Organizations in many Countries. Held various position (President, Environment Coordinator, ICT Coordinator, Publicity and Extension Coordinator for Soroptimist International at club, region and federation Level). Currently,
a. Projects Coordinator, SI Suva
b. Extension/Membership Coordinator for NewZealand and Pacific, Soroptimist International of South West Pacific (SISWP)
Led Community Projects in the area of “Education” and “Environment”. Check the latest project here: 1, 2 and 3.
Community Work, Travelling and learning about different cultures, Reading, Music, Gym and Running (Half Marathon). Currently Learning French language.
Other Websites/contact links:
Click on the name for LinkedIn Page: Shikha Raturi
Click on the Twitter handle for Twitter Feeds: @shikhanr
Connect on Google Group via gmail: shikhanr(at)gmail.com
- Raturi, Shikha (2019). Gauging the extent of online practices along the eLearning continuum. Technology, Instruction, Cognition and Learning, 11 (4), 303-334. Old City Publishing: US A Journal by Association for Educational Communications and Technologies (USA).
- Raturi, Shikha (2018). Understanding Learners’ preferences for learning environments in higher education. The Online Journal of Distance Education and Elearning, 6 (3), 84-100. ISSN 2147-6454. http://www.tojdel.net/journals/tojdel/articles/v06i03/v06i03-08.pdf
- Raturi, Shikha (2017). ICT integrated pedagogies and teacher training: Perspectives from the Pacific Island Countries. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, pp 117-128, Vol. 14. No.4. ISSN 1550-6908 www.itdl.org/Journal/Apr_17/Apr17.pdf
- Raturi, S. and Chandra, S. (2016): Learners and Instructors’ digital status and satisfaction with learning environments in Higher Education. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, pp 31-52, Vol. 13. No.5&6. ISSN 1550-6908 http://itdl.org/Journal/May_16/May16.pdf
- Raturi, Shikha and Kedrayate, Akanisi (2015). Impact of elearning on primary school children and teachers: A study of the One Laptop Per Child Pilot project in Fiji. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, pp 3-24, Vol. 12, No.8. ISSN 1550-6908. http://itdl.org/Journal/Aug_15/Aug15.pdf
- Raturi, Shikha (2014): Online tools in elearning in the context of developing countries: A study at the University of the South Pacific, MOOC, Innovation and Technology in Education (MITE), pp. 112-117. DOI 10.1109/MITE.2014.7020252
- Raturi, S. and Boulton-Lewis, G. (2014): Shaping beliefs about teaching and learning in higher education in the Pacific. Issues in Educational Research, 24 (1), 67-84. http://www.iier.org.au/iier24/raturi.html
- Raturi, S., Hogan, R. and Thaman, K.H.(2011). Learners’ Access to tools and experience with technology at the University of the South Pacific: Readiness for e-learning, Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 27 (3),411-427. http://www.ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet27/raturi.html
- Raturi, S., Hogan, R. and Thaman, K.H. (2011): Learners’ Preference for Instructional Delivery Mode: A Case Study from the University of South Pacific (USP), International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, pp 17-32, Vol. 8. No.6. ISSN 1550-6908 http://www.itdl.org/Journal/Jun_11/index.htm
Presentations and Proceedings (Conference, Symposiums and Workshop)
- Shikha Raturi (2019). Invited Lecture (27th Nov. 2019) on “eLearning in Higher Education: Perspectives from Pacific”, Institute for Global Development, University of New South Wales, Sydney Australia.
- Shikha Raturi (2019). Invited presentation on “Capacity building to enhance skills and competencies in youth and adult through ICT integration in Higher Education’ at the “Regional Consultation on ICT-Driven Innovation in Higher Education in Asia-Pacific, 24-25 September 2019, Shenzhen, China. (Fully Funded by UNESCO).
- Shikha Raturi (2019): Facilitated a session on “ICT in Teacher Education Curriculum”, School of Education Review workshop, 1-2nd August, 2019, Room H401, School of Education, USP, Suva, Fiji.
- Shikha Raturi (2018): Facilitated session on “Reflecting and engaging with networks”. Implementation of Commonwealth Digital Education Leadership Training in Action (C-DELTA), Training of Trainers Workshop. 5-7th December, 2018, Commonwealth of Learning, New Delhi, India. (Fully Funded by COL).
- Shikha Raturi and Javed Hanif (2018): A Community of Practitioner’s project: Open Educational Resources, Presented at FALE Learning and Teaching Forum, 17th September, AusAID Performance Space, USP, Suva, Fiji.
- Shikha Raturi (2018): Facilitated a session on “Use of mobile technology in learning and teaching and information sharing”, Workshop on “Mobile Technology and the USP library” for USP Library Senior Staff. 3rd August, 2018, USP Library, Suva, Fiji.
- Shikha Raturi (2017): “Opportunities and Challenges with eLearning in Higher Education: Perspectives from Pacific Island Countries”, 18-20th December 2017, 9th International Conference on Education Technology and Computers, Barcelona, Spain.
- Shikha Raturi (2017). Poster presentation at the UNESCO Bangkok RDTC Seminar 2017, “Global Citizenship Education”, 6-8th Nov 2017, Quezon City, Philippines. (Fully Funded by UNESCO)
- A session on UNESCO Productivity and Primary science resources, USP, Suva, Fiji; 17th October, 2017.
- Facilitated 8-day workshop on “Support for Development of Tuvalu Technical & Vocational Skills Development (TTVSD) Programme”, one important component was “Using OERs for development of TVSD service course resource booklet” and “Tracer Study” training, Participants from Ministry of Education. USP, Suva, Fiji; 14th-23rd Aug. 2017, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, Funafuti, Tuvalu (a COL consultancy).
- Shikha Raturi (2017): Institutional Policy Development Workshop on Open Educational Resources, 25th- 26th May, 2017. USP, Suva, Fiji.
- Interactive workshop on ‘Teaching with technology at USP’ with USP wide representative from different faculties and units within USP, Learning and Teaching Series – 3rd March 2017, USP, Suva, Fiji.
- Interactive workshop on “Enhancing Interaction in Virtual Learning Environment at USP” with USP wide representative from different faculties and units within USP, Learning and Teaching Series, 27th October 2016, USP, Suva, Fiji
- Invited to facilitate “Open Discussion” on Resource Distribution and Training Centre (RDTC) Members’ expectation of RDTC network, sustainability of network and collaboration plans. Sustainable Partnerships for Transformative Teaching. Regional Seminar for UNESCO Resource Distribution and Training Centre (RDTC), 23-25 November, 2016, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Invited and Co-Facilitated Round Table Discussion on “MOOCs as a Catalyst to Enhance Teaching and Lifelong Learning in Asia and the Pacific”, 10-11 October 2016, Organised by UNESCO and Hosted by National Institute for Lifelong Education, Seoul, Republic of Korea
- Co-facilitated workshop (2016) on “Open Educational Resources (OERs)”, Participants from Ministry of Education. USP, Suva, Fiji
- Co-facilitated workshop (2016) on “E-pedagogies and materials development using Open and Distance Learning (ODL) and Open Educational Resources (OERs)”, Participants from Solomon Islands National University, University of the South Pacific and Tuvalu’s Ministry of Education. USP, Suva, Fiji
- Shikha Raturi, (2015). ICT integrated pedagogies for pre and in-service school teachers: A Case Study at the University of the South Pacific, Teacher Training to Promote Safe, Effective and Responsible Use of ICT, UNESCO-RDTC Seminar Series, UNESCO-Bangkok, South China Normal University, Guangzhou, China.
- Invited and attended National Stakeholders Consultation on Open Educational Resources (policy) for a Smarter Fiji, Fiji Higher Education Commission, Ministry of Education on 25th March, 2015 Holiday Inn, Suva, Fiji; And subsequent meeting on OER policy draft on 20th July, 2015, Marela House, Suva, Fiji
- Facilitated workshop for Faculty members, Interactive Learning, 29th Jan. 2015, Faculty of Business and Economics, USP, Suva, Fiji Islands.
- Shikha Raturi, (2014). Collaboration in virtual learning environment: How are we doing in Pacific Island Countries, Reflective Practices, 10th Nov. 2014, UNESCO-RDTC Seminar Series, UNESCO-Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Bangkok
- Co-facilitated workshop for Community Learning Centre volunteers, June 26, 2014, USP, Suva, Fiji Islands
- Facilitated workshop for Faculty members, Integrating technology in learning and teaching and Online learning, 13th – 14th October, 2014, Faculty of Arts, Law and Education, USP, Suva, Fiji Islands.
- Co-facilitated workshop (2013) for Ministry of Education, Sports and Culture (MESC), To familiarise with elearning concept and introduction to use of ICT learning and teaching; 40 school teachers and education officials from MESC, Funafuti, Tuvalu
- Coordinated Workshop (11th July) with a team of 4 on ‘Sustainably Transforming learning and Teaching through ICTs’ during the ‘ Pacific Science Inter-Congress’ 8th July to 12th July, 2013, Suva, Fiji. Experts brought in from various countries/backgrounds
- Attended Moodle Moot as part of USP team 2013 (24th June to 26th June), June 2013, Melbourne, Australia
- Co-facilitated workshop for ‘Consultative process on Policy for ICT in Education’ for Ministry of Education of Vanuatu and stakeholders, 21st June, 2013, Ministry of Education, Vanuatu
- Attended ‘Commonwealth of Learning’ organized Consultative Meeting for ‘Regional Centre for Open and Flexible Learning’ 18th June to 20th June 2013, Holiday Inn, Vanuatu
- As 2-member USP delegation attended ‘U-Learn’ conference, October, 2012, Auckland, New Zealand
- Co-facilitated Workshop on “Open Education Resources’ for USP staff on12th Sept, Faculties OER Awareness Workshop -12th to 14th Sept. 2012, ICT Professional Lab, USP, Suva, Fiji. Workshop shell on elearn.usp.ac.fj/course/view.php
- Raturi, S. (2012). Enhancing interaction in online course – Opportunities and Challenges, Vice Chancellor’s Learning and Teaching Forum, 10th Sept, 2012, USP, Suva, Fiji
- Raturi, S., Kalamu, M., Weiss, I. and Koroivulaono, T., (2012). Flexibility, affordability and innovation: the OER story at USP – A joint presentation. Vice Chancellor’s Learning and Teaching Forum, 10th Sept, 2012, USP, Suva, Fiji
- Co-facilitated on ‘ICT integrated pedagogies’ during a 5-day Workshop for OLPC Fiji Pilot Training to 32 School Teachers, 20th - 25th August 2012, USP, Suva, Fiji
- Facilitated workshops - 2x5 sessions over a period of 5 weeks – Awareness session on ‘Integrating ICT in Education’ OLPC Fiji Pilot Training to 32 School Teachers as a preparation for the intensive 5-day Training July to Aug 2012, USP, Suva, Fiji
- Attended as part of 7- member delegation from USP ‘World OER Congress’, June, 2012, Paris, France.
- Raturi, S. (2012). ‘Open Education Resources = Education For All’, School of Education Seminar Series, 6th June, 2012, USP, Suva, Fiji
- Attended and participated in the Consultation meeting ‘OER Asia Pacific Regional Forum’ April 2012, Bangkok, Thailand
- Raturi, S. (2011). ICT and TVET: Possibilities in PICs. Presented at ‘Mainstreaming TVET and NFE in the 21st Century’ Pacific Regional Technical Vocational Education and Training & Non-Formal Education Symposium, 29Nov. – 1st Dec., 2011, USP, Suva, Fiji
- Raturi, S. (2011). Virtual Learning Environments: Is it a plausible Option for Pacific Island Countries?: Presented at ‘South Pacific Information and Communication Technology Exposition 2011 Symposium, 20-23rd July, 2011, USP, Suva, Fiji
c. Book Chapters and Reports
- Blair, Erik, Watson Danielle and Raturi, Shikha (2020). Introduction. In Blair, E., Watson, B. & Raturi, S. (Eds.) Graduate Research Supervision in the Developing World: Policies, Pedagogies and Practices. Routledge: USA
- Blair, Erik, Watson Danielle and Raturi, Shikha (2020). Final Reflection. In Blair, E., Watson, B. & Raturi, S. (Eds.) Graduate Research Supervision in the Developing World: Policies, Pedagogies and Practices. Routledge: USA
- Raturi, Shikha, Gibson, Dawn, Thomas, Frank and Raturi, Atul. (2020). Navigating research trajectories in Pacific Island Countries. . In Blair, E., Watson, B. & Raturi, S. (Eds.) Graduate Research Supervision in the Developing World: Policies, Pedagogies and Practices. Routledge: USA
- Burnett, Greg and Raturi, Shikha (2020). Acknowledging the postgraduate student research experience: Lessons for supervisors from the auto-ethnographic writing of thesis acknowledgements and dedication pages.
- In Blair, E., Watson, B. & Raturi, S. (Eds.) Graduate Research Supervision in the Developing World: Policies, Pedagogies and Practices. Routledge: USA
- Raturi, Shikha (2016). Education development challenges and potential for flexible & open learning in Tuvalu, Tuvalu Country Study, Commonwealth of Learning.
- Lingam, G.I., Raturi. S. and Finau, K. (2015). ‘Improving Educational Reach in Pacific Island Countries with ICT’ Education in Oceania, Editors Michael Crossly, Greg Hancock and Terra Sprague, Continuum Book Series Education Around the World – Series Editor Dr. Colin Brock, Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, London, UK
Blair, E., Watson, D. and Raturi, S. (2020). Graduate Research Supervision in the Developing World: Policies, Pedagogies, and Practices. Routledge Research in Higher Education. USA: Routledge.