School of Education
+679 32 31967
+679 32 31571
PhD, MA, BEd [Sth Pc.]
Designation: Lecturer in Education, Programmes Coordinator – Secondary
- ED154- Introduction to assessment and evaluation.
- ED254- Evaluation in schools
- ED354- Assessing and measuring student performance
- ED215- Mathematics education primary I
- ED325- Mathematics education primary II
- ED350- Curriculum studies II
- ED454- Advanced educational measurement and evaluation
Assistant Lecturer (2011- to date)
Mathematics education and classroom assessments
- Committees and Community engagement
- Assessment Moderation Committee
- Learning and Teaching Committee
- Grievances Committee
Hobbies – playing soccer, touch rugby; watching soccer, rugby and cricket on tv, socializing, music.
- Dayal, H, & Tiko, L. (2020). Are we going to have real school? A case study of early childhood education and care teachers’ experiences surrounding education during the COVID-19 pandemic. Australasian Journal of Early Childhood. In https://doi.org/10.1177/1836939120966085
- Dayal, H. C. (2013). Teachers’ perceptions of mathematics at senior secondary level in Fiji. Australian Senior Mathematics Journal, 27 (2), 25 – 35.
- Dayal, H. C. & Lingam, G. I. (2015). Fijian teachers’ conceptions of assessment. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 40 (8), 43–58.
- Dayal, H. & Chandra, S. (2016). Solving word problems in mathematics: An exploratory study among Fijian primary school teachers. Waikato Journal of Education, 21 (2), 29-42.
- Dayal, H. C., Cowie, B., & Bakalevu, S. (2017). Students’ reflections on portfolio assessment in mathematics in Fiji. Pacific Journal of Education, 1 (1), 37 - 46
- Dayal, H. C. & Chand, R. (2017). Using the revised Bloom’s Taxonomy to classify learning objectives in mathematics: An exploratory study among Fijian secondary pre-service teachers. Directions: Journal of Educational Studies, 32 (1), 36 – 50.
- Dayal, H. C. & Lingam, G. I. (2017). Formative or Summative?
How pre-service and practising teachers view forms of assessment.
Directions: Journal of Educational Studies, 32 (1), 51 - 67.
Presentations and Proceedings (Conference, Symposiums and Workshop)
Dayal, H. C. (2013a). Pre-service secondary mathematics teachers’ reflections on good and bad mathematics teaching. In V. Steinle, L. Ball & C. Bardini (Eds.), Mathematics education: Yesterday, today and tomorrow. Proceedings of the 36th annual conference of the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia (pp. 226–232). Melbourne, VIC: MERGA.
Book Chapters and Reports
- Dayal Hem and Rombo, John L. and Lingam, Govinda I. (2015) An Alternative Education for School Dropouts In Fiji: Perceptions of some Stakeholders. In: Inclusive Education for Exceptional Individuals A Pacific Perspective. USP Press, Suva, Fiji, pp. 204-227. ISBN 978-982-01-0935-3
- Rombo, John L. and Lingam, Govinda I. and Dayal Hem (2015) School Cultural Influences For Inclusive Education In Papua New Guinea. In: Inclusive Education for Exceptional Individuals: A Pacific Perspective. USP Press, Suva, Fiji, pp. 34-62. ISBN 978-982-01-0935-3
- Lingam, Govinda I. and Rombo, John L. and Dayal Hem (2015) Transformational Leadership For Inclusive Education. In: Inclusive Education for Exceptional Individuals: A Pacific Perspective. USP Press, Suva, Fiji, pp. 1-18. ISBN 978-982-01-0935-3