Dear Staff and Students
At the SMT meeting today, following the announcement of Fiji’s fifth COVID-19 case by the Honourable Prime Minister, students and staff are advised to observe the following:
- Everyone is reminded that the University Mid Semester Break has been extended and it is expected that classes will resume on 6 April 2020.
- Besides Lautoka Campus, Fiji, the following Campuses are in lockdown (effectively closed):
- Alafua Campus in Samoa
- Please note that students are strongly advised not to come to Campuses and to observe national protocols in their countries and follow advice from their Campus Directors.
- SMT decided at its meeting today that all staff can work from home effective tomorrow, Thursday 26 March 2020, except for essential staff required for operational purposes.
- Arrangements for working from home will need to be authorized by your Supervisor and the Line SMT member.
- This arrangement will be place until the 5th of April.
- SMT’s decision is aimed at ensuring that staff and students restrict their movements only for essential purposes.
- This arrangement will provide the opportunity to prepare the University for any longer-term arrangement.
- Supervisors will need to determine which staff are considered essential on an individual basis and inform them accordingly.
Please note that the University is constantly monitoring and reviewing the COVID-19 pandemic and we request that USP staff and students regularly check their emails, USP website and USP social media outlets. USP DISMAC also encourages all staff and students to practice clean hygiene protocols, social distancing and limit travel and movement.
We thank you for your understanding in these challenging times.
Professor Pal Ahluwalia
Vice-Chancellor and President