Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I apply to study at USP for the first time or after a lapse of 3 years?

By completing an online application or an “Admission Application” form.  All successful applications will be sent an official offer letter.  The letter will be posted to the mailing address stated on your admission application.

2. How do l apply for resumption of studies?

If you had lapsed a semester or more (within 3yrs or 6 semesters) of studies you will need to apply for resumption of studies.  You can apply for resumption of studies via this online portal or complete an Admission Application form.
If you want to resume your studies at USP in a new programme then you are advise not to use this resumption portal but submit a new application using

3. What is the closing date for persons applying to study for the first time or after a lapse of 3 years? 

Semester I: Friday, 19th February 2021

Semester II: Monday, 19 July 2021

4. If I have other university qualifications can I apply for credit transfer? 

Yes you can by completing an Application for Credit Transfer form available at .  Details on documents required is stated on the form.

5. What is the difference between original documents and certified true copies? 

Original documents are documents which have original signature and stamp from the source, for e.g. birth certificate issued from Registrar General’s office and certified true copies are photocopies but signed and stamp by a Justice of Peace or Commissioner for Oaths that is a true copy of the original.

6. I am a form seven student, what documents do I need to submit? 

You will need to submit certified true copies of the following documents if you applying through the:

       a.  Online Application for Admission Portal or

  •  Birth certificate
  • Fiji Year 12 Certificate Examination or Equivalent results

      b. Provisional Application Process

  •  Birth certificate
  • Fiji Year 12 Certificate Examination or Equivalent results

 7. I am a form six student, what documents do I need to submit?

You will need to submit certified true copies of the following documents if you applying through the:

a. Online Application for Admission Portal or

  •  Birth certificate
  • Fiji Year 12 Certificate Examination or Equivalent results

b. Provisional Application Process

  •  Birth certificate
  • Fiji Year 12 Certificate Examination or Equivalent results

8. What if I did not finish high school and only reached Form 5 and have had some work experience, can I still apply for sub-degree, pre-degree and undergraduate studies? 

Yes, you can provided the programme allows mature entry and your work experience is assessed to be relevant to the programme you are applying for.

9. What is the difference between semester and trimester? 

A semester is the normal duration for which a course is offered and 18 weeks long.

Trimester is a period of study offered three times a year that is shorter than a semester, usually 10 weeks long. For e.g. the Graduate School of Business conducts its programme of study on a trimester basis.

10. What programmes and courses are available? 

Information on courses and programmes available for the academic year can be viewed via the online USP Handbook and Calendar at

11. How do I know I have been offered a place? 

An applicant that has been accepted to undertake studies at USP will receive an official offer letter of acceptance from the University.

1.   l received my offer letter and the password stated in the letter does not allow me to log-in to SOLS, MOODLE and student email?

You will need to contact your nearest SAS Office or ITS helpdesk and request for a new password. SAS and ITS will ask you to present your offer letter and photo identification card before you are re-issued a new password.  Please ensure you have these two documents on hand when requesting for a new password. Also note that re-issuing of passwords will only be given to the student and not a third party. The password will give you access to log into SOLS, Moodle and Student email.  Don not share your username and password with anyone.


2.  If l receive my offer letter, can l deter my studies to another semester?


 Yes you can, and you will be classified as a non-starter; however you will need to reapply for admissions.

3. Can I change my programme after I have enrolled? 

Yes you can by applying for a change of programme using the AAGO link
Sponsored students must note that an official sponsor’s letter of approval for a change of programme is uploaded onto the AAGO change of programme link.  Deadline to change your programme in a semester is on the Friday of the 2nd week of Lecturers for that semester.

4. How do I register for my courses? 

 By logging into the Student Online Services (SOLS) using your username (Student Number) and password and selecting the tab titled “My Registration” to select the courses you intend to study for the given semester or trimester.

 5. What if the course I want to register for is not available online? 

If you are not able to register for a course online it could be any one of the following reasons:
(i)  it’s not part of your programme, or
(ii)  it’s not offered, or
(iii) you have not met the pre-requisite for the course, or
(iv) it is your third attempt to do the course (you have not passed the course in 2 attempts), or
(v)  you have not met the 75%  programme progression rule or
(vi) otherwise contact your nearest SAS Office for further assistance.

6. What is 75% progression rule?

Students admitted to degree programmes are required to pass at least 75% of their Programme course requirement at each level and must include the two first-year University courses, to progress to the next level. This means 75% of the 100-level courses required for the programme must be passed before progressing to the 200-level courses. 75% of 200-level courses required for the programme must be passed before progressing to 300-level; these need not include the 200-level University courses.

7. What is Academic Advise & Grievance Online (AAGO)?


The University has for some time had an approved Academic Advice Framework, and Student Grievance Policy & Procedures.



In line with the University’s move to digitization of all processes, Senior Management Team has decided these two process shall be provided online.



This will avoid delays associated with manual handling, and ensure those with authority provide approvals.



The AAGO website link has replaced the following manual student forms :


·         – Manual registration form

– ·     – Change of programme form

·         –  Pre-requisite waiver form

·         – Student Grievance for repeating a course for the 3rd time

 8. Can I withdraw from a course any time during the semester? 

Refer to the Academic dates at for official dates. Also note there are two withdrawal dates:
1)      There is a deadline to withdraw from a course without been charged fees (Friday on the 3rd week of lecturers)
2)      The second deadline to withdrawal from a course incurs all fees (Friday on the last day of Lecturers)

9. What are core courses? 

A course that must be completed to fulfil the requirements of a programme. This is also referred to as a compulsory course.

10. How many units are required for a degree level programme? 

Depending on the degree programme you have been accepted to, this will vary.

  • 24 courses: Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Agriculture (BAGR), Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Commerce (BCOM) and Bachelor of Science (BSC)
  • 31 courses: Bachelor of Arts and Graduate Certificate in Education (BA/GCEd), Bachelor of Commerce Graduate Certificate in Commerce (BCom/GCEd) and Bachelor of Science Graduate Certificate in Education (BSc/GCEd)
  • 32 courses: Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical and Electronics/ Mechanical/Civil)
  • 40 courses: Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws (BA/LLB), Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws in Education (BCOM/LLB)

11. What is an elective course? 

 A course which may be chosen by a student, usually from a discipline outside the student’s major(s) or minor(s), which must be passed as part of a programme.

 12. What is the difference between a major and a minor? 

 Major: A defined sequence of courses in an undergraduate degree, which defines an area of focus within the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science programmes and usually consists of two majors.

Minor: A supplementary discipline taken in addition to, and in support of a single major within the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science programmes. A single major can be combined with at least one minor in a degree programme.


1. How and when do I apply for credit transfer?


You can apply for credit transfer when you apply for admission into USP. Attach a copy of the credit transfer application form with your admissions application form with the correct supporting documents.


2. Can I still apply for a credit transfer from another tertiary institute even if I don’t have a certificate/ or diploma?


Yes you can. The institutes with whom USP accreditation with (these are in the USP Handbook and Calendar), Credit transfer is based on completion of program. Other institutes, you can apply for credit transfer but the following documents (certified copy) are compulsory:


  • Academic transcript which shows courses taken, grades and grading system
  • Course description of the courses for which student is seeking credit at USP


Note, if the above documents are not certified then the credit transfer application will not be processed.


3. What documents are required when applying for credit transfer?


If your program has been completed and is on the USP accreditation list, you will need to submit certified copies of your academic transcript as well as your award (Certificate). If you have completed your program and it is not on the USP accreditation list, please refer to question 2.


4. How will I be notified of the decision of my credit transfer application?


If your credit transfer has been successful then a letter will be sent to your mailing address. In addition you will be able to view your SOLS account for the units confirmed for credit transfer. If your credit transfer application is rejected or pending then an email notification will be sent to your student email account.


1. Where can I find my invoice?


After you have registered for your courses for any given semester, on the third week of lectures your invoices will be available on your Finance menu on your Student Online Services


2. Is there a deadline for fee payments and where can I find this?


Yes there is a deadline for fee payments and this can be found on your invoice. In addition email



notices will be sent to your student email accounts to inform you of the fee payment deadlines.


3. Where do I make payments for my fees?


You can pay for your fees at your respective USP campuses. For Laucala campus students you can access your invoice on your SOLS account which you will need to print and then use to make payments at the USP cashier or at any ANZ bank, Westpac and Post Fiji branches.


4. If my student account is on HOLD, what does this mean?


There are three reasons why your student account will be placed on HOLD that would be due to:


  •  Unsatisfactory Academic Progress
  • Fees owing – Tuition, general services, accommodation charges, library fine, damage to property fines.
  • Student Disciplinary penalties and fines

5. Where do I go to find out what my HOLD details are?


To find out what your HOLD details are, visit the Student Administrative Services office at your local



campus for assistance.


6. Where do I pay for my library fines?


For Library fines please check with the Library for payment arrangements. Also note that only the library can remove HOLDS placed for library fines.


7. How long does it take for my HOLDS to be cleared?


For Unsatisfactory Academic progress your hold will be released after your academic suspension period. For any financial hold this will be released within 24 hours once payment is received by the USP cashier. If payment is made at the selected banks instead of the USP cashier then it should take about 72 hours for payments to be cleared and the Hold released by Finance.


8. If I do not pay for my fees on time will I be charged a late payment fee?


Yes, there are late payment charges which will apply should you not pay for your fees by the given deadline.



All tuition fee payments made after the due date will incur a penalty fee which will be added to the overall total fees.
The penalty fees are as follows:



   –   Late Payment of Fees                First 4 weeks from the fee payment deadline – FJ$125.00
–   Late Payment of Fees                8th week from the fee payment deadline       – FJ$150.00



    Students paying fees after the 8th week from the fee payment deadline will be charged a penalty fee
of FJ$200.00


9. What are the opening hours for the USP Cashier?


Laucala campus – Monday to Thursdays: 8.15am to 4.15pm;  Fridays: 8.15am to 3.45pm
Cashier closes on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays.


10. If I am a sponsored student, do I get an invoice?


Government, AusAid, NZAid and USP (fully) sponsored students you will not be issued invoices for tuition fees. However if you are a residential student on campus, then you will be issued an invoice for your accommodation charges.


11. Can I pay for my fees in installments?


Yes you can pay for your fees in installments as long as your full payment is received by the deadline for fees payment.


12. Do I get a refund if I withdraw from a course?


If you withdraw from a course by the end of the “add and drop” period, you will not be charged. However if you drop your unit(s) during the semester you will still be charged the full tuition fee. Please refer to the important dates for further information – 

1. Why do I need a student ID card?


Your student ID card is to confirm that you are a registered student of the university. This ID is needed in order for you to use facilities provided by the university. For example, if you are to borrow books over night from the Library you will need your student ID card.


2. How do I get my student ID card?


For new students you are required to get your ID card during the registration week as outlined in your offer letter. ID cards are processed at the Student Administrative Services (SAS) office.


3. If my student ID card is lost, how much would a replacement ID card cost?


For Laucala campus students a replacement ID card will cost you $15. Payment is to be made at the USP cashier and once receipt is issued please visit SAS to get your replacement ID card.

1. Where can I find my lecture/tutorial timetable?


You can find your lecture timetable on your Student Online Services account as well as accessing the following link –


2. How do I sign up for tutorials?


When you attend your first lecture, you will be given your course outline by your lecturer and he/she will inform you when and where to sign up for tutorials. Information on tutorial sign up will also be posted on your moodle account.


3. What do I do if there is a clash in my lecture timetable?


If you have a clash in your lecture timetable you can see your course coordinator/lecturer and inform him/her of your situation. They will assess your request and will provide you with an alternative. If however, they are not able to make changes to the lecture timetable then you may have to change your registered courses but this must be done by the Friday of the first week of lectures.

1. How many campuses does USP have?


USP has a total of 14 campuses for more details on these campuses access the following link:


2. What are some of the student support services available at USP?


Some of the services provided are as follows:


3. What if I am interested in research, where do I go for more information?


University of the South Pacific has a Research office located at Laucala campus. You can visit their website  for more information or contact them on email address research(at)


4. Can I have mail sent to me while I am a student at USP?


Yes as long as you are a registered student you can have mail sent to you. For Laucala campus students please use the following in details for your address:



Student ID
C/- Student Mail
University of South Pacific (Laucala Campus)


5. What are opening hours for the Library?


The library has different opening hours for different periods during the year. Click on the following links to view the opening hours for the Libraries at the different campuses.



Emalus campus –


6. Where do I go to hire a locker on campus?


If you like to hire a locker you can do this online on SOLS by accessing “My Locker Hire”. If you need to talk to staff for more information on locker hire contact the Campus Life office.


7. How are students informed of events at USP?


You will need to check your student mail regularly for updates on events around campus, also the announcement link on the USP web site. Other mediums used are moodle, notice boards and the University Facebook page.


8. Do I have to carry my student ID card while on campus?


Yes it is mandatory for you to carry your student ID card while on campus. Security may conduct random checks for students that enter the University premises so it is important you have your ID card with you while on campus.


9. What recreational facilities are available on Laucala campus?


At Laucala campus, the Campus life office manages the Sports and Recreational activities. For more information on what activities are available, click on the following link –


10. Does USP offer student accommodation on Laucala Campus?


Yes! USP’s Laucala campus has 11 Halls of residence housing 1,061 studets and 31 units for married students.  For more information you can contact 323-2281 or email halls(at)  You can also visit the Halls of Residence office or visit the link : for more information.



USP Chat Service
Lets start: