| || |
BSc, PGDip(CS/IS), MCIS, MA (S.Pac)
Open Education Design Architect (URL: https://openedu.usp.ac.fj | https://learn.uspglobal.usp.ac.fj)
Section: Open Education Practices (OEP)
Location: TEDFuturesHUB, Laucala Campus
Tel: (+679) 323 2033, Fax: (+679) 323 1417
Deepak joined the Centre for Flexible Learning as a Learning Designer in 2014. He has worked in the education industry in the capacity of a learning designer and an educator for over nine years with experience in assisting the University of the South Pacific in online, blended and face-to-face course design, development and delivery.
Deepak transitioned into the role of Open Education (OE) Design Architect in September 2017 as part of CFLís role in promoting Open Education Practices at USP. His vision for his new role is that in the near future, at least 50% of all courses at the University adopt Open Education Resources (OER) and Open Education related technologies and practices in their learning and teaching at the university. Additionally in the area of MOOCs, he envisions USP to be a crucial provider of MOOCs for capacity building in Pacific Island Countries (PICs). He is also a certified Higher Education Peer Reviewer with Quality Matters with research interests in student achievement and open education practices.
Prior to joining CFL, he worked as a Tutor and Assistant Lecturer with the School of Computing, Information and Mathematical Sciences (SCIMS), USP.
- Bhartu, D. & Naidu, S. (2020). MOOCs and Open Education in the Global South. Zhang, K. (Ed.), Bonk, C. J. (Ed.), Reeves, T. C. (Ed.), Reynolds, T. H. (Ed.). New York, NY: Routledge, DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9780429398919
- Onwubolu, G. C., Sharma, A., Dayal, A., Bhartu, D., Shankar, A., and Katafono, K. (2008, September 15-19). Hybrid Particle Swarm Optimization and Group Method of Data Handling for Inductive Modeling. Paper presented at the International Conference on Inductive Modelling (ICIM), Kiev, Ukraine.
- OER Course Conversion Projects. Open Education Showcase and Forum. USP, Fiji, March 2018
- A New Wave of Pacific Learning and Teaching: The University Of The South Pacificís First Ever MOOC. Open Education Week 2017. USP, Fiji, March 2018
- Bhartu, D, Newell, A., (2016). A New Wave of Pacific Learning and Teaching: The University Of The South Pacificís First Ever MOOC, Paper presented at the Eight Pan Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning (PCF8), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Bhartu, D. (2011). Online Assessment Methods for Mathematics. Symposium presentation at the International Conference on Mathematics of Date: Mathematics Education and Practice, Allahabad, India.
Workshops and Panel Sessions
- Capacity Building and Skills Development in the Pacific with Open, Flexible and Technology-Enhanced Learning. Ninth Pan Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning (PCF9), Edinburgh, Scotland, 2019
- MOOCs and Open Education in the Global South: Challenges, Successes, Opportunities. Ninth Pan Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning (PCF9), Edinburgh, Scotland, 2019
- Capacity Building in Skills Development in the Pacific with Open, Flexible and Technology-Enhanced Learning. Shangri-La Fijian Resort & Spa, Fiji, August 2019
- Professionalising Youth Work in the Pacific. USP, Fiji, June 2019
- Making OER Stick. USP, Fiji, March 2019
- Open Education Showcase and Forum. USP, Fiji, March 2018