Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Programme
The Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Programme was created to satisfy the need for legal education that focused on the concerns of the Pacific Island Region. Our LLB Programme is uniquely designed to focus on the legal systems of the Pacific Island Region, particularly those of The University of the South Pacific’s twelve member countries.
For admission to the Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Programme, students must have:
- passed a Senate-recognised Form 7 or equivalent examination with a minimum of 60% (or equivalent) in English; or
- have met the Mature Student admission criteria; or
- a Bachelors degree from USP or a Bachelors degree or equivalent qualification involving at least three years’ full-time study from another recognised tertiary insitution. Students admitted under this clause are known as Graduate Entrants.
- The Bachelor of Laws degree consists of 32 courses, of which 8 are at 100-level, 8 at 200-level and 16 at 300-level.
- Graduate Entrants to the Bachelor of Laws are required to pass 16 compulsory LW courses plus UU204 and 8 300-level LW elective courses.
- Students must pass and attain a GPA of at least 2.0 in all 100-level LW courses plus UU100 and UU114 before being able to progress to any 200-level LW courses.
Mode of Study
Students admitted to the LLB Programme have the option of pursuing their studies in:
- Face-to-face mode at USP Emalus Campus in Port-Vila, Vanuatu or USP Laucala Campus in Suva, Fiji; or
- Online mode from elsewhere (both in and out of the Pacific Region).
All of the specific courses listed below are compulsory courses. Course descriptions and information on the semesters when compulsory courses are offered can be found in the USP Handbook and Calendar. Information on elective courses (both law and non-law electives) can be found in the USP Handbook and Calendar.
|Year I | 100-level
LW110: Law & Society
LW111: Courts & Disputes Resolution I
LW113: Courts & Disputes Resolution II
UU114: English for Academic Purposes
UU100: Communications & Information Literacy
Plus two (2) 100-level non-law electives
|Year II | 200-level
LW201: Law of Contracts I
LW202: Law of Contracts II
LW203: Law of Torts I
LW204: Law of Torts II
LW205: Criminal Law & Procedure I
LW206: Criminal Law & Procedure II
UU200: Ethics & Governance
UU204: Pacific Worlds
|Years III & IV | 300-level
LW300: Property Law I
LW301: Property Law II
LW304: Legal Drafting
LW306: Legal Ethics
LW308: Constitutional Law
LW309: Administrative Law
Plus ten (10) 300-level elective courses