Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

General Questions

Where can I get the job description?

Job descriptions for the advertised position can be found on our online recruitment website –

What should I include in my application?

Cover letter, curriculum vitae, copies of your qualifications, and three referee contacts.

Does the university provide medical insurance?

The university provides its own medical assistance to staff only.

What kinds of medical facilities are available?

All the USP member countries have public hospitals. Fiji has private hospitals and clinics.

Does the university provide accommodation?

Staff are responsible for their own accommodation but the university has houses on campus that it rents out to staff when available.

Where can I find information on schools for my children?

There are some good primary and secondary schools close to the university. We can provide you with this information.

Am I required to pay income tax?

Apart from Vanuatu, all the other USP regional countries have income tax. In Fiji the income tax is up to 31% for senior staff.

Does the university provide superannuation for its staff?

Yes, the university pays superannuation based on the superannuation legislation in each of its member countries. For academic and comparable staff, the university will pay up to 10% as employer contribution.

Can I continue to contribute to my existing superannuation scheme?

Yes, this is possible but it has to be approved by the respective tax authority in each member country.

Can I bring my pet(s)?

Yes, you can bring your pet(s) provided you meet the member country’s quarantine requirements.

Is my driver’s license transferrable?

Yes, it is.

Will I be able to bring my car?

Yes, you can but you will be responsible for all the costs of bringing it across.

What type of public transportation is available?

Each USP member country has varying levels of public transportation.

Will I be able to bring across my electrical appliances?

Yes, you can. In Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, electricity is 240V at 50Hz. In the Cook Islands, electricity is 230V and in the Marshall Islands, electricity is 120V.

What currency will I be paid in?

You will be paid in the local currency.

What types of utility services are available?

Each USP member country provides a reasonable standard of water and electricity services.

What types of emergency services are available?

Each USP member country has its own reasonable standard of emergency services.

Are postal services available?

Yes, each USP member country has postal services.

Are internet and telephone services available?

Yes, each USP member country has internet and telephone services available. In Fiji there are a number of internet and mobile service providers.

Recruitment Process

How long does the recruitment process take?

Typically, it can take up to 6 weeks from the closing date of an advertisement.

Will I be attending an interview?

Yes, interviews are conducted via Skype, video conference, telephone conference, and face to face.

How and when will I be informed of the decision?

By email or a formal offer letter one week or less after the hiring decision is made.

Will I be getting an employment contract?

Yes, you will receive a formal contract that spells out the terms and conditions of employment.


Will the university meet my relocation costs?

Yes, for staff recruited from abroad the university will meet the costs of relocation for you and your family which includes your spouse and up to four (4) dependent children.

Do I need a work permit? Who will be responsible for arranging one?

Yes, for staff who are not citizens of the USP member country you will need a work permit and the university will be responsible for obtaining this on your behalf.

Will the university provide home passage at the end of my contract?

Yes, for staff recruited from aboard the university will provide home passage at the end of each three (3) year contract.

Will I be met on arrival at the airport?

Yes, a representative from the university will meet you on arrival.

Will the university help me find accommodation?

Yes, subject to availability the university will provide you with a transitional house on a walk-in walk-out basis for up to four months at the normal applicable rental rate. The university will provide you with assistance to find accommodation on or off campus.

What are USP’s working hours?

Business hours are from 8am – 4:30pm Monday to Thursday and 8am – 4pm on Friday. Some sections are required to work rostered hours on the weekend.

What happens on my first day at USP?

You will get your ID card from the HR Office and your pay details confirmed with the Payroll Office. You will also need to fill in a Tax Identification Number (TIN) form. In Fiji, once you get a TIN then you’ll be able to open a bank account.

USP Chat Service
Lets start: