Please note, that at present, conference funding from the Research Office is on hold. Kindly liaise with your respective Schools for any funding assistance.
Presenting an academic project at a conference can be a valuable experience that enriches a student’s understanding of a discipline and subsequent professions. The purpose of these grants is to encourage and assist student presentations at academic conferences related to his/her goals by off-setting the cost of registration, travel, and lodging.
There is a limit of two travel awards per academic year. The award is not guaranteed, and requests are considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Conference Funding Details
The Research Office usually provides full sponsorships for participation in local and regional conferences and only partial sponsorships for participation in international conferences.
Applicants are required to seek funding from the following other sources first, before applying for the conference funding from the Research Office:
- Conference(s) committees/organisers they will be attending;
The applicant’s immediate supervisor is required to indicate whether there are School – level options for alternative funding in the Supervisor Support Form. Postgraduate students may not receive more than two Conference Funding award per year.
- Conference funding is available to registered full-time and part-time postgraduate research students.
- Students must be either invited speakers or have their papers accepted by the conference committee.
- Students must publish their papers as part of the conference proceedings for the conference attended.
- Complete the Conference-Funding-Application-Form
- Have your immediate supervisor compete the Supervisor-Support-Form
- Conference invitation letter or abstract acceptance letter
- A copy of the accepted paper
- Confirmation of conference proceedings
- Endorsement of application by the Deputy Head of School [Research].
Conference Funding Award Requirement:
All students who accept Conference Funding support from the Research Office must:
- Submit a Conference-Report-Template within 30 days since the last day of conference
- Publishing their paper as part of the conference proceedings and inform the Research Office as soon as publication is ready.
Applications are open all year round.
Note: Successful applicants must ensure that they have completed and submitted the relevant travel insurance forms to the University section sponsoring their travel.
Completed application to be sent to:
Research Student Coordinator
Ms Anushka Maharaj
The University of the South Pacific
Phone: (+679) 323 1888
Fax: (+679) 323 1504
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org [preferred]