Interim Reports focus on specific issues of concern identified as part of the comprehensive review process, annual report submission, the complaint process, substantive change, or other interactions with the Commission. The purpose of Interim Reports is to ensure that institutions continue to meet the Core Commitments and Standards with respect to the identified areas of concern.
Interim Reports are limited in scope, not comprehensive evaluations of the institution. The report informs the Interim Report Committee about the progress made by the institution in addressing issues identified by the Commission. The Interim Report consists of two sections:
- Interim Report Form and Appendices
- Additional Required Data (as specified on the Additional Required Data form)
Interim Reports and supporting documents that have been requested by the Commission or WASC staff are peer-reviewed by the Interim Report Committee (IRC), typically within 90 days of receipt. Representatives from the University will be invited to participate via conference call to answer questions or provide clarification.
our WSCUC staff liaison will contact the institution after the call with the outcome of the review, which will also be documented in a formal action letter.
Possible Outcomes of the Review
After the review, the panel will take one of the following actions.
- Receive the Interim Report with recommendations and commendations—No follow up required.
- Defer action pending receipt of follow-up information—The panel has identified limited information that may be submitted in a short period of time, such as audited financial statements or the outcome of an upcoming meeting of the board. The panel may authorize the WSCUC staff liaison to review these materials without the full panel being brought together again, depending on the nature of the supplemental information.
- Request an additional Interim Report—Issues reported on were not adequately resolved or need continued monitoring.
- Request a Progress Report—A progress report is less formal than an Interim Report and is reviewed only by the WSCUC staff liaison. A progress report may be requested when institutional follow-up on one or two relatively minor areas is desired.
- Receive the Interim Report with a recommendation that the Commission sends a site visit evaluation team—Serious, ongoing issues involving potential non-compliance with WSCUC’s Standards and Criteria for Review may require follow-up in the form of a Special Visit. Note that the IRC panel makes a recommendation for a visit, and the Executive Committee of the Commission or the full Commission decides on whether or not to require the visit.
Interim Report Committee Evaluation Worksheet