RESEARCH TUITION ONLY SCHOLARSHIP AT USP
Applications are now closed!
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the Research Tuition Only Scholarship to undertake Master’s degree or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) by research only on a part-time basis at The University of the South Pacific (USP).
The awards are tenable from semester 1, 2023.
Generic Research Areas
The University is keen to fund interdisciplinary projects that fall within its Strategic Research Themes which are all underpinned by Innovation, Empowerment & Sustainability:
- Sustainable, Inclusive and Equitable Economies
- Oceans, Ecosystems & Climate Resilience
- Education, Culture, Health & Wellbeing
- Governance, Justice and Equality
- Innovation, Empowerment and Sustainability
Specific Research Areas
The academic Schools, Departments, Institutes and Centres at The University of the South Pacific are organised into 6 academic units. These are:
- School of Accounting, Finance and Economics (SAFE)
- School of Agriculture, Geography, Environment, Ocean and Natural Sciences (SAGEONS)
- School of Business and Management (SBM)
- School of Information Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Physics (STEMP)
- School of Law and Social Sciences (SoLaSS)
- School of Pacific Arts, Communication and Education (SPACE)
An interdisciplinary centre that focuses on climate change and sustainable development is the Pacific Centre for Environment and Sustainable Development (PACE-SD). For details on specific areas of research that these institutions support in this current round of funding, please visit their websites.
Benefits and Conditions
- Tuition fees (paid directly)
This scholarship is specifically for working students and will be for part-time study only. The duration of the scholarship will be as per the part-time study regulations in the USP Handbook & Calendar.
Research Degree at USP
Masters awards will be for 48 months [4 years part-time] and Ph.D. awards for 72 months [6 years part-time]. Applicants for a Master’s degree should normally have completed a Postgraduate Diploma (or equivalent) while applicants for a Ph.D. should have completed a Masters by thesis degree. The University recognises that there are special circumstances in which some applicants without these pre-requisites may be eligible for enrollment in these degree programmes. More details can be accessed in the University Calendar at www.usp.ac.fj/publications.
Applicants must be citizens of a USP member country, and preferably be 35 years or younger for Master’s studies and 45 years or younger for Ph.D. studies at the time of application to be considered for the scholarship.
Applicants for the Research Tuition Only Scholarship under the Master’s programme must have a discipline grade point average [GPA] of at least 4 at the 200 & 300 level courses.
Applicants for PhD are required:
- To have completed a Master’s degree by thesis; and
- At least 2 good publications, USP B rank or above, or equivalent in other rankings.
Completed applications must be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “2023 Tuition Only Application – [Your Name]”.
Emailed applications must include:
- Completed Applicant Detail Form
- An Applicant Checklist
- Cover letter or a letter of application
- An outline of a proposed research topic*
- Curriculum vitae
- Name and contact details of three referees
- Certified true copies of relevant transcripts and certificates
- Proof of citizenship
*Applicants may discuss their applications with a potential supervisor.
- Final year undergraduate students who wish to apply for the Pacific Scholarship for Excellence in Research & Innovation need to explicitly state the expected date of completion of their current programme in the application letter.
- Applicants must enrol in their respective academic units; the scholarship does not guarantee a place in the academic unit.
Closing date for applications is midnight Friday 15th February 2023.
Queries regarding the scholarship can be emailed to email@example.com or to:
Research Student Coordinator