Worker's Compensation Insurance Policy


Welcome to the Worker’s Compensation insurance page of our site. This gives you a brief outline about what this policy covers and why we have it.

Why do we need this Insurance?

We are a responsible employer. We look to protect our employees from accidents that can affect their ability to work. This policy provides compensation to employees when these unfortunate circumstances happen. It forms part of the policies we maintain to protect our staff. (Exception is Fiji. Effective 01-January 2019 all claims are to be made to the Accident Compensation Commission of Fiji under the Accident Compensation Act 1964. Refer to Certificate of Currency (COC) web page for Workers Compensation policies in place)

The employee’s role

Worker’s Compensation is a last resort in the event of an accident. It is far more important, however, to protect your own health, safety and welfare each day at work.  The insurance policy will not pay out if you do anything reckless or illegal.

We have health and safety policies and procedures that you must comply with. Please ask your immediate line manager or speak to the Health and Safety team if you are in doubt.

Some of the basic things you should do include:

Properly handling hazardous chemicals.

  • Wearing the right footwear for certain activities.
  • Observing signage prohibiting certain activities.
  • Driving vehicles in a responsible and safe way.
  • Using equipment in accordance with instructions.

What does the policy cover?

There are two broad categories: Our legal liability for death or bodily injury.

  • All costs and expenses incurred at what is called ‘common law’. This is a legal term.  
  • Costs can only be incurred at the insurer’s consent. The costs are limited by the liability limits of the policy.

Our policy covers employees working for USP anywhere in the Pacific Islands. Employees are also covered when they work temporarily in other parts of the world.

What are the limits of liability?

Limit of Liability


1,000,000 for any one employee (Currency varies – contact Risk and Insurance Unit)

Varies (contact Risk and Insurance Unit)

Who do I report incidents and claims information to?

Please liaise with our Human Resources’ colleagues if you have a Worker’s Compensation claim. The HR Department handles these claims. This prevents unnecessary disclosures and respects your privacy.

Further investigation is also undertaken by our Occupational Health and Safety team. Where injuries occur, the OHS team handles the information and any referrals required to statutory bodies. This includes, for example, Ministries of Labour.

There are two important things that need to be noted:

  • USP will collect facts about the incident and include as much information as possible prior to lodging the claim.
  • The university is not allowed to admit liability. Liability is assessed by independent, expert persons. Our role is to ensure all of the circumstances are properly recorded. This enables the experts to make a thorough assessment.

Date Reviewed: 20-May-2020

USP Chat Service
Lets start: